Despite two different tables two different effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on venlafaxine for three years now. I've always taken 100 mg tablet. Which are oval. In the past six months or so the Pham has given me the same name, same dose. However they are round. At first , starting the round tablet, I noticed having hot flashes, feeling like I missed a dose, unable to continue simple task. I called the pharmacy they say there shouldn't be any difference. Well there is duh. The best I can describe is the oval tablet is the best for me the imprint on it IP 305 the round tablet imprint is 93 other side 7383. Talking to the pharmacy they are NO longer carrying the one that works for me. I picked up the last thirty in town. Ugh. Please help. Tyia

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi chris59473, you are right that a change in brand has caused your problem.  I read somewhere that the active ingredient is the same between the name brand and generic, but the name brand binders are proprietary and so the generics have to come up with their own, and those binders can really have an affect on how the drug is released in the system (or not!).  Can you search other pharmacies to see if another carries the one you are used to?
    • Posted

I forgot to add that at least in the states the pharmacy usually puts the maker on the bottle label.
    • Posted

Thank you for your support. I've gone into cvs and walmart. They have the tablet that doesn't work for me. Walgreen is where I normally get my prescriptions. I'm so worried about changing my medicine. I quit my job the other day, after a panic attack.
    • Posted

Oh dear!  Chris, it sounds like you are having withdrawal from this brand of tablet. like you said, feeling like you missed a dose.  I am assuming this is the immediate release, since the generic extended release is usually little beads within a capsule.  I'm not sure what to advise if you can't get the original brand, other than to perhaps get a pill cutter and see if you can get about 1/8 of a tablet to add to your dose and see if that helps.  I would then ask for an appointment with your doc to discuss your options.  If the doc can't see you soon, at least let them know the situation and that perhaps the doc can phone in a new script.  Perhaps the extended release version would work better for you.
    • Posted

Thank you. I've called my Dr. now waiting for a call back. My roommate said, now you know what the problem is, move on. I tried to explain , it's frustrating and not that easy.
  • Posted

Hi Chris. The same thing happened to me 2 years or so but my GP denied there would a difference so i put up with it and after a while i adjusted to it. It was just another complication of this horrible drug for me and it produced symptoms similar to what i'm suffering now. I'm 19 days into coming off.

Why don't you use this as an oppurtunity to quit. There's lots of advice and support on here. You can do it now and spare your self this misery later on.

• Posted

A big step to take but if you can have a go. The longer you're on it the harder it is to get off. I was on 225mg for 4 years, my weight ballooned and my BP was sky high. Both are now under control. Mentally i'm fine tho the withdrawal is tough
    • Posted

Thank you for your support. I've been off the medicine before. It's not a pretty sight hahaha. Not to make excuses, I've got to get job. It's a double edged sword. Gotta work to pay for my medicine and living expenses. I understand what you are saying. However, it would cost me a whole lot more, if I stop taking the medicine.
    • Posted

I understand. We are lucky in the UK. When i could'nt work for a while i received benifits and my meds were free. And after starting work i only payed a small amount towards them.
    • Posted

I agree with Betsy above. ALSO........,

You can economise $$ by getting a prescription for the highest strength of Efexor brand of venlafaxine capsules which contain beads. The beads are more or less identical to each other. Other brands may not be. Pull the cap off the capsule, sprinkle out beads representing the milligrams you want to take. Pop the cap back on the capsule for the next day. The capsule is merely a container for the beads and has no part in the delivery rate of the venlafaxine.

This idea of dividing up higher strengths of medications to save $ does not always apply depending on the formulation. Confirm with a pharmacist beforehand then work together with the doctor by explaining what you are up to. 

• Posted

Right on, warren!  Last year when I tried to go off of Effexor, I forgot to stop my auto-fill of 75 mg capsules so had about 6 months worth to work with (a sign of withdrawal, forgetting to stop the auto-fill!). When I reinstated in June, it was at 37.5 mg, so I just measured that out from the larger capsules I had.
    • Posted

Thank you both. I don't have capsules. I have tablets. Yesterday, afternoon I divided my tablets in half. Taking half and half. Hopefully it'll help me when I go full strength again. So far so good. I'm still getting some brain zaps. I'm going to try to work through them. Fingers crossed.
    • Posted

I am always wary of dividing up tablets unless they are grooved for halving or quartering. You cannot always assume that the drug is evenly distributed in the excipients. Then there may be a structure within, like layers separating a fast release outer section from a delayed release inner.

You have to treat all on their individual merits.

My absolute favorite is a tablet that consists of a porous skin with a hole drilled by a laser in it.  When you swallow it, juice from you is absorbed through the skin and the stuff inside absorbs the juice and swells. Gradually the gunk is pumped out through the hole. You wouldn't want to be cutting THAT up.  

• Posted

Interesting , hopefully my Dr will call tomorrow. Please let me know you if you think of anything else.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.