Devastated - can I mention ankles here???

Posted , 7 users are following.

l had my first appointment with the ankle consultant this morning. And I was actually expecting it to be bad news, just not this bad. There is only one thing he can do for it, something called a Bigfoot triple fusion ( haven't researched it yet so only have a tiny hall of what it involves). It makes the hip replacement seem minor. 2-3 hours surgery, and then 6 weeks non weight bearing and 6 weeks partial. 

Worse, we are now back to the eternal circle. He would need to do it after the hip is 100%. So he's saying at least 6 months, possibly 12, and probably 9. That's my 60th tour of central America gone. Or anything else that requires walking - I am probably going to still be on crutches for another year. Maybe more. 

I am just devastated. After the hip went so well I was thinking I would get my life back. And it's not going to happen.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry, it's a hindfoot not a Bigfoot! Damaged predictive texting!

• Posted

Oh Beth I'm so sorry to read this. I suppose the only positive I can come up with is that at least you have the hip sorted. But the rest of it absolutely sucks :-(.

• Posted

Thanks Jenny. And yes, it does suck. I feel like the hip could go for miles, but the ankle is just holding me right back. So confused now about what to do. I was hoping at least for some temporary "fix" until it could be done permanently, but he said there nothing that would work.

• Posted

Feel for you Beth, prior to my hip op 14months ago suffered from Mortons Neuroma. Two of my toes started to tobe d to the left on other foot. First surgeon fobbed me off abt them. New surgeon took one look had an X-ray and I not only need the nerve remove but have two long ones that are too long so need toes broken,abit chopped off each bone and wired together. I've been told. Two weeks of foot elevated for 23 hours a day combined with a total of 6 weeks walking on heel. Like you my hip is great. The foot gives me terrible pain. Surgery on 10th Dec. Hoping I will be healed enough by April when my daughter gets married. The only positive is I get out of cooking Christmas dinner. Big hugs xx

• Posted

Oh I hope you are better for the wedding. There ought to be a natural law about not having more than one major surgery in a decade!
    • Posted

Hear, hear...only one major surgeru per decade!!! Thank you for the giggle...guess I am living to 300!
  • Posted

Beth,

Don't be to despondant - you will get there.  Last year there was a lady on here (Gaby) who had such problems with her knees immediately after her THR.  She went through hell at the time, and she has just had her knees replaced too, and is recovering well.   

You will get there, just not as fast as most others.

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

Thanks Graham

?It's just so disappointing isn't it? After all that with the hip, to mention nothing of the broken ankle, and eight months on crutches, and now I have another year of the same. To say nothing of the fact that after a swimming hip replacement with utterly no pain etc, I can't now walk that much further than before I had it done; and with all the impciations for building that up!

• Posted

HOLD ON!

get eitherva knee scooter or an iwalk2 and enjoy your tour!!!!

• Posted

Yep, that will work really well on Mayan sites biggrin

And that is before I even think about the major surgery flights bans before and after! Again.

?Thanks for the thought, but I am beginning to wonder if anything short of medical tourism is ever going to get me out of the country now!

• Posted

take a look at the iwalk2

you may be pleasantly surprised.

I was. As Google...

• Posted

I will. I won't need anything for a while yet. But it won't make me able to fly! It's another six months flight ban on long haul.

• Posted

dangy!

Then we are just going to stick here with you...we can commiserate together...I have three big replacements next year, beginning Jan 6...hugs

• Posted

Gosh, that's rubbish isn't it? I'm praying for sudden climate change for the UK. A summer during the summer months would be a good start!

• Posted

Here in Colorado Springs we have summer and summer and trees with no leaves summer...we just made winter Dec 1...set some all time record..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.