Deviated nasal septum, Sinusitis, Asthma and Partial Hearing loss?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Yes, I have all those problems at once. I have deviated nasal septum and it blocks my right nostril fully. Not even a single puff of air could be inhaled through my right nostril. I constantly suffer from cold or atleast I have a feeling of it. Here is the interesting part: When I sleep, I always have to sleep turning to the right side of my bed because I can breathe through my left nostril, but when I turn to the left side, the left nostril gets congested and since my right one is blocked by the septum, I simply cannot breathe. Another interesting problem is that, I suffer from partial hearing loss in my left ear while my right one is fine. The final problem is that There is always excessive mucus build up, and as a result I suffer from breathing problems(shortness of breath). I use salbutamol as prescribed for my breathing problem.

Now my question is: Can deviated septum be related to all these problems I am suffering?( Is it possible or not?)

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Have always had these symptoms?

• Posted

Well, hearing loss and breathing problem came late to the story. But pretty much yeah it was in the story. I think it is due to deviated nasal septum, What do you think?
  • Posted

The hearing loss has nothing to do with your septum. However the mucus building up that's very likley due to your deviated septum.

If you have clearly been diagnosed with at least a moderate or severe deviated septum, you could consider surgery. It possibly will help, mind you some people don't get relief from surgery. But if you suffering from it badly, it might worth a shot.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I think I am considering surgery but is there any chance that surgery will worsen my condition?
    • Posted

I guess there is some risk in every surgery. I would't be too concerned about it, it's a routine surgery however 2nd opinion wouldn't hurt. But definitely ask your ENT about it.

Not evreyone benefits from a surgery, my cousin didn't but didn't get any worse either. I suppose it also depends on the DR, and how badly it's deviated.

I had a different type of sinus surgery, middle turbinectomy, didn't help one bit. But I read on different forums, that lots of others with deviated septum surgery were very happy with the result.

So I guess if it's something which constantly bothers you, do some research, seek 2nd or even 3rd opinion.

And make sure it's your deviated septums which causing your problem, not something else.

I have seen ENTs who told me I had deviated septum, and told me that I would benefit from the surgery when it turned out I have no deviated septum, and my sinus problem is due simply to allergies. - took me 2 years to figure it out! I have very minor problems now and didn't need any deviated septum surgery!

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience and here is mine:

Well, when I went to the doctor I only claimed that, I cannot sleep changing sides of the bed. Then he looked up through my nostrils and said that I had deviated septum and you need surgery. But the interesting part is that, he used some instrument(tuning fork kind), striked in the rubber pad and put in the middle of my forehead and asked me to tell where the ringing sound was coming from. I told it was coming from my left ear. I did not even mention that the I have partial hearing loss but the doctor seem to have found out that I have some sort of hearing loss. This amazed me, and I asked whether hearing loss was due to deviated septum then he said it may or may not be the cause and the hearing might come back if you do the surgery. I am also pretty sure it is deviated septum because I can see the bulging of septum in my right nostril when I look in the mirror and I can feel it too. And again, when I lift my nostril a bit outwards, I can breathe easily so I think it is deviated septum. I also read somewhere, nasal congestion can cause temporary hearing loss. If surgery could cure my sleeping habit and hearing ability then I think I will be going for surgery. But then, I also read people saying that after surgery, allergy will be the next problem. So I am searching for people who had similar expeiences like mine.

Thanks again.

• Posted

you mixing up a few things. sinus problems can be caused from many things, including deviated septum, allergies, polyps. But you don't get allergies from a surgery. You either have allergies or you don't. There's a simple prick skin test for it

That's why it's important to make sure that you been diagnosed correctly before opting for surgery. 

I also have one side blocked when I sleep, but always the lower side. Mine is from the blood vessels swelling up, so due to gravitation the lower side gets more blood flow and blocks that side. The last ENT I've seen said that there's not much he could do about it.

Deviated septum is fixable. Maybe get a CT, so you know exactly how badly it is deviated and if there's anything else there blocking the airway.

• Posted

Hello stormxeron. Does otrivin drops open your nostril?
    • Posted

I think I used otrivin some time ago but I stopped using it as it was not helping with my blocked nostril. I am opting for surgery. It may not give me  relief but my biggest concern is, will it worsen the condition? Any Ideas?
    • Posted

If otrivin open the nostril so doctor's believe its turbinate hyperThropy. They use it as a test. If it dosent help you now but helped you before so maybe there is a rebound effect. I guess they've check the turbinates??

• Posted

I was prescribed otrivin a while back and I am pretty sure it did not work for me. Then I changed my sleeping style which I practiced everyday at night by turining to the right side of my bed. I slept like that for a while, then I got pretty anxious about my face. My right side of the face seemed flat that the other side. So, I went for second diagnosis.

When I was diagnosed the second time, I stated my problem and doctor, looked straight up through my nostrils and claimed that I have deviated septum and that's causing the problem. When I look in the mirror, I can see it pretty clearly and when I lift my nostril, I can breathe easily. I even asked if any medications could work but he refused saying my deviated septum is the root of all problems. Now, I am opting for surgery, but then I heard people claiming that the problem has gotten worse after the surgery. 

• Posted

you say that if you lift your nostril you can breath easily. So maybe all you need is a tinly little device to be put into your nostril to lift it at least when you sleep. Have you heard of breath right nasal strips? or something similar?
    • Posted

I can only speak for myself. When you have sinusitis usually you have mucus flow to your ears blocking them. In my case I got permanent damage in one ear from the infection. Nothing to do with deviated septum. If your doctor prescribed Otravin I guess he is the expert however my own experience is these sprays and decongestants are way to freely prescribed. if me I would seek multiple opinions from ENTs before you do surgery.
    • Posted

The problems with nasal surgery is that its hard to got objective opinions. Like you i have also notice that most of the people in medical forums dissatisfy. One of the ENTs I've met told me that it usually helps to patients with big difficulties not to those with minor problems. And another professor told me try everything else before. I have some of yours problems. Especially bloked nostril. I believe its not mechanical problem of septum. Because it happened to me suddenly and i believe it's nerve/mind connection. But it dosent means that surgery cant solve it. They are a lot of surgery's that fix nerve or even psychological problems. But i think you are right. When you try to find another solutions.

• Posted

I have not heard about it. I think I will go on and find something more about it. Thanks
    • Posted

Do mucus cause infection? Well, definitely will take second or third opinion before surgery. Thanks for your sugesstions.
    • Posted

Well I just found one as suggested by + care4health about breath right nasal stirip. Surgery might be my long shot because there definitely tends to be other options around. Thanks.
    • Posted

there are a lot of different designs out there, they not too expensive, when you google it, you'll find them

search for nasal strips, Rhinomed Turbine Nasal Dilator, anti snore, other suggestions will come up automatically when you google it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.