Dexa Scan results

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 54 and recently had a Dexa scan which showed I had marked Osteopenia - a TScore of -2.229 - I believe a score of 2.5 is a diagnosis of Osteoporisis.  I have a family history of this condition - my mother had a severely bent spine and fractures in her 50's. The doctors only treatment seems to be Vitamin D supplements - I have regular pain - do other members of the forum have any advice as I am worried about getting worse over the next few years?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Check what else is going on as osteoporosis does not usually cause pain.

I have pain from bulging discs, mild scoliosis and narrowing through the middle of the spine.

I do have osteoporosis and take magnesium, vitamin D, calcium and include vitamin k in my diet. Leafy greens and dairy products especially yoghurt and cheese cover the vitamin K2.

Have a very good diet with fruit and veggies and other goodies like avocados and nuts, etc.

I do not take the drugs for,osteoporosis as I do not trust them. With osteopenia I would not advise you even consider that path.

I had X-rays and ct scans to diagnose the scoliosis and bulging discs, etc.

Hope this all helps!

• Posted

If you can avoid taking the osteoporosis medications that would be very good. I find the possible side effects to be frightening!  Kathleen is right to recommend Vitamin K2 and that excellent varied diet.  It's actually not very easy to get enough K2 in a modern Western diet because of the way cattle and hens are raised on grain, so you might want to consider a supplement to go with your calcium and D3.  I've also been advised to make sure I eat foods high in boron (I eat prunes because I like them).  The most easily absorbed form of calcium is hydroxyapatite, and citrate is also considered good.  Other than diet there are exercises that I've been told are good for osteoporosis and osteopenia.  These include weight bearing (walking the simplest!) and tai chi.  I wonder if your pain is due to nerves being pressed on by your vertebrae as the space narrows with age?  That is what sometimes troubles me.  (I have osteoarthritis in my neck, involving three vertebrae, and my lumbar spine, involving two vertebrae.)  Should be visible in an x-ray.  All the best!
  • Posted

Hi. I am pleased for you that your scan has detected osteopenia and not osteoporosis. You can take some simple measures to hopefully, stop it going into the osteoperosis range. You are correct that a T- score of -2.5 means osteoperosis. I was diagnosed at -3.5 after living a healty life style and doing everything to prevent getting this condition. However, I am doing ok, despite 2 fractured vertebrae. I take supplements and prescribed medication and also run regularly. I have just joined an over 50s exercise class and do stretching and yoga too. I also pratice the Alexander technique which has helped realine my spine, after the fractures.

i hope you can avoid getting any worse, but, if you do, cross that bridge when you come to it.

• Posted

Alison, I'd be interested to learn more about the Alexander technique.  Years ago I bought a book about it, but it seemed too difficult to do without instruction.  It's good for your whole body, isn't it, rather like a form of dance?
    • Posted

I am no expert, but I had a few lessons, before I fractured anything. To me, it made sense, if your spine is in the natural and correct position, all your muscles, ligaments and tendons work together as nature intended. When I fractured thoracic 7 (T7) I got onto the floor and lay in the recomended posture for 20 minutes every day. After a few weeks I was feeling straighter. When I fractured L4, I started doing it again and although it took longer I dont look as if I have had fractures. It has also helped with the pain because as we start to lean, everything has to work differently. I am certain it has helped me a lot because I have not lost any height. This, to me, shows everything is working in harmony. And at 61, with 2 spinal fractures, I am continuing praticing the spinal alignment he recommended. I am certain there will be info on the internet, but if I can help you, let me know.
  • Posted

Hi, thanks so much to everyone for their feedback and advice - it's very much appreciated.  I know that I am lucky compared to some people and that I can take steps to hopefully prevent things getting worse.  I have heard of the Alexander Technique so I would be interested in finding out more about it - I've been told that I need to do weight bearing exercises so it's time to get motivated and get off my butt!! 
    • Posted

The easiest weight bearing exercise is simply walking.  It is good because you go only as far and as fast as you want, building up gradually.  It doesn't need special equipment, just good shoes, and is free.  It gets you out in the open air, and it can even take you places.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.