DHC

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have read all the posts about the use of this medication, I have been on this for over four years for sciatica, it works for me and keeps me able to live, BUT now my doc is trying to take me off them, by cutting me to half of my dose from 120mg twice a day to 60mg upto twice a day!

I am climbing the walls, feel restless all the time and sleep is a distamt memory!

I am addicted I believe, but also very afraid, as the pain from my sciatica is really very very bad and without the tablets, I disolve into tears after driving for 10 mins with the pain, cant sleep because of the pain and cant sit, stand lay down for more than 20 mins before the pain gets too bad and I have to change stance!

What is worse, living in complete misery in absolute pain 24/7 or having the dhc and living a reasonable quality of life?

damned if I do and if I dont!

Why me!!!!!!!!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Herman

I'm not sure if it would help (probably won't due to the high dose of pain relief you are one) but have you tried Syndol?

I know they aren't as strong as prescribed painkillers but they also have a relaxant in them.

Might be worth a try?

Melbi x

• Posted

i have broken some ribs and was given dhc, i only took 2 tablets and have felt like a zombie for days ,shaky , sick and my skin feels all prickly, I won`t be taken any more ! .I sympatise with you ,the pain from sciatica is unbearable , i had it badly some years ago and again the docs just throw more pain killers at me that made no difference- what did work though was interferential treatment on the sciatic nerve- electrical pulses for a short session every day for a couple of weeks (blocks the spasms and starts to allow your muscles to relax again) It worked for me. and after months of agony i could sit down to eat meal again and drive a car (although i always sit on a lumbar wedge cushion) worth a try, better than drugs, good luck!
  • Posted

I have been taking dihydrocodeine for years due to hip and back pain and damage to the sciatic nerve. I now take 5 x 30mg tablets a day, they don't really give me satisfactory pain relief but they keep it under control just enough so that I can function and live my life reasonably. I know I am addicted. I know my doctor will not up the dose even though it is not high compared to the amount others seem to be taking and he always seems to frown on me for taking them at all. I know it is not good to take these tablets on a regular basis but what can I do? I have a TENS machine which may help slightly but my pain is severe and ongoing and without medication it is very difficult for me to walk even short distances. I know what it's like to be in so much pain and discomfort day in and day out that it makes your life not worth living. I find the side effects are ringing in the ears, constipation and tiredness, but I would rather have that than constant pain. I don't get a buzz from them anymore but they still make me feel a little mellow and optimistic. Could anyone tell me how they manage to get a prescription that allows them to take 15 or more a day or do they buy them from somewhere?

I admit that I am afraid to be without them and constantly check on the date of when to order my next prescription so that I never run out. I have never shared this with anyone before but after reading other peoples' experiences I don't feel so alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.