Diabetic 1 and Amitriptyline

Posted , 4 users are following.

As a diabetic 1 i don`t want to sleep too deaply as i may not wake up from a very low blood sugar. So I started on 10mg. of amitriptyline for some pain and mild insomnia.

Wow!  if this is 10mg. I have no idea how people can use 50+ concetrations. I`m an a 84 yr. old male and this far too much. I`m wondering if I can cut tabs in half ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi. My 10mg tablets are quite small so unsure if you can cut in half. I only take 10mg and find they to work for me. I have tryed taking two tablets 20mg but they knock me out too much . I would carry on with 10 mg of amitriptyline take a few hours before bed. They may take you a few weeks to get used too. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

You don't say why you are taking it, if it knocks you out too much go back to your doctor. At 84 you don't want to be knocked out as you might fall over if you get up at night. There are other things you could take I am sure. Very common for it to be too powerful for people

• Posted

Hi, you cant cut the tablet in half. You can only cut tablets in half that have a line through them. Ive worked with medication before, if you just explain to your doctor he should swop you on to something that wont have as many side affects for you & that you can also take with metformin or what ethier diabetic meds you are on. Phenergan isquite good for people age 50+vat wink x

• Posted

> you cant cut the tablet in half. You can only cut tablets in half that have a line through them.

That is NOT true, and you are giving BAD advice!  Just because a pill (tablet) does not have a line through them does not mean that it cannot be scored (cut in half).  Some pills can be scored, some cannot.  Any pharmacist will tell you if a pill can be scored or not. I score my 10mg Amitriptyline tablet and take a 5mg tablet every night 1-3 hours before bed.  I found that I can get up easier in the morning with 5 mg.  10 mg and 25 mg made me too drowsy in the morning.  I plan score my 10 mg  twice to 2.5 mg and try that.  If not, I'll stick with 5 mg.  But YES, you CAN cut the tablet in half!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.