Diagnosed 5 months ago, worried about the future....

Posted , 5 users are following.

I feel like I need some reassurance about what this diagnosis means for me. I'm 22 and a newly qualified nurse, I was diagnosed after suffering multiple breakdowns and panic attacks. I'm on sertraline 50mg and having CBT. I was feeling better but have recently had a relapse into low mood.

I leave for Peru in a couple of days and am worried that my condition will ruin this once in a life time trip. I'm scared of having a panic attack or something stupid.

I feel like my parents don't understand how worried I am about how this effects me. They tell me not to worry about the future. I can already tell that some of my friends are treating me differently.

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? Will it effect me in the future? How do I tell people?

Can someone who's had this longer please help feel like there's hope

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I also am 22 and suffer from anxiety/panic attacks! I am a stay at home mom so my job is totally different! I was diagnosed with post partum depression which later led to the now severe anxiety I have! I also have negative thoughts most of the time!! A couple months ago I have a bad panic attack while I was alone and from then on I have been a complete wreck I have the fear of driving and being left alone which sucks because those two things are pretty much inevitable! I have recently been put on a new medication call Wellbutrin and my dad has given me some books to read! One is called the power of positive thinking its a good one!! Simple life changes help as well like eating healthy and exercising! I think mine is worse than yours so your still lucky! I have the physical symptoms as well like headache, chest pressure, stomach trouble, fatigue and the list goes on an on! But I am here to talk if you need to!
    • Posted

Hi!

Thanks for the reply.

I'll have to have a look at that book. What you're going through sounds horrific, I hope you start to get better soon.

Thanks for the offer of a friendly ear :-)

Means a lot

• Posted

So sorry you are suffering.

I'm a few years older than you and had depression for about 10 years.

It is not fun.

How long have you been on sertraline? It could be that either you haven't been on it long enough, need a different dose, or that it simply isn't working anymore, and you need to try another tablet.

A lot of people need to change medications and alter doses numerous times before they get the right "fit". It just isn't an exact science at all, and depression's fluctuating nature doesn't help matters.

If you can get an emergency appt with your dr before you go away I think it would be beneficial. They may be able to prescribe diazepam to help with the panic attacks. Sometimes just having my diazepam with me calms me down before a panic attack fully sets in as I know I have something that can help me, and that brings great relief.

I can totally relate to worrying about your future, I know I do the same. I know it's not helpful to say "don't worry" to somebody who IS worrying, but mostly people say this because they have no answers, but they are well meaning in the most part.

The thing is there isn't really much you can do at the moment. It's a very hard thing to accept. You can do things like exercise, eat right and continue with your CBT (and whatever techniques they have taught you). You just have go let it run its course.

I'm not going to mislead you and say it will never impact you again, or that this is going to be a short journey to recovery, but it might be, and there is hope.

I think there's always hope really, and relatively speaking you haven't been diagnosed that long, so try not to feel too disheartened just yet.

All you can do is try and take care of your basic needs, make sure you're getting enough sleep if you can, eating well, and try and break days down into manageable bits.

The best thing you can do for yourself (and I know it is difficult) but be kind to yourself. Try not to over think you're present situation or your future.

Just live each day the best you can.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but there can be an end to this. Don't lose your hope, but don't put too much pressure on yourself to be "well" either, as that can be counter productive.

Take each day as a win against this illness, and hopefully you can use your trip to take some time out, relax and regroup.

Take care my lovely,

Best wishes xxx

• Posted

Thank you so so much for this honest answer.

I think I just needed some reassurance :-)

Thank you

• Posted

You'll get there you know, I'm sure you will.

It's just gonna take some time.

In my personal opinion, I think once you get through this it will really help you as a nurse.

Depression is awful, but it does make you more resilient, more understanding of people's needs and more patient.

All excellent qualities in a nurse!

You will come out the other side of this, and probably stronger.

Try and enjoy your trip, it sounds like an amazing experience!

xxx

• Posted

I totally agree with all you just said, Audrey.  This terrible illness somehow makes you more of a person, more understanding, more empathetic.

I hope cookierunner can benefit from your expert advice, I am sure she will.

Love to you,

Pat

• Posted

Hi I am on sertraline and have been for around 5 years now.  I found that the 50mg dose or the 100mg one wasn't enough for me so I am now on 150mg a day which works fine.   Maybe you need to increase your dosage?  Have a chat with your doctor. 

Have a great trip. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.