diagnosed in september 14, refused PIP. feeling low.

Posted , 39 users are following.

I was diagnosed fibro in September this year after baffling doctors with the condition I have since I was 13. I am now 21. After years of being pushed to one side and being told there was nothing wrong with me, or it was growing pains I finally had an answer. In august I first applied for PIP and in September I was finally diagnosed. I've been through lots of different examinations and tests to prove or disapprove conditions, I have also been on a lot of different medications until finally I'm finding gabapentin is doing at least something to help. After waiting from august until now (December) I was hoping people would realize how much pain I'm in on a daily basis and how much help I need. But this morning came the letter to say the DWP does not think I'm entitled to PIP. They seem to think I can dress and undress muself , although I physically need someone to do this. They also think I am capable of washing although, if wasn't to have someone to help me into the bath, I wouldn't be able to wash.

Sorry for the rambling I'm just astonished people can apply and be successful in recieving PIP when they're in no pain, but because a test proves they have a condition, they are automatically given it. With us with fibro, its like no one believes we have it or the severity of the effects on our body's.

I'd like to hear a few peoples opinions on the subject and whether anyone's actually been successful in claiming PIP. I will be appealing this decision and hopefully something will come about this.

4 likes, 115 replies

115 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there hun

i too am waiting a decsion for my dlaas i too have the condtion Fibro but i was already getting Dla for my other condtions but i have applied to have the Mobilty rate increasedsothis doesnt give me much faith now after reading your news, can i ask hun have you been refered to Pyso and who ever your speaclist was that diagnosed Fibro ask them to back your case because thats disgusting and you shouldnt have to deal with it on top of everything else my heart goes out to you and i wish you all the best with your appeal ill let you know when i hear a decsion but going by yours it will proably be the same sending love always

Cherl xxx

• Posted

I have heard a lot of people get are getting refused and its only when you appeal they actually alter the disision. I'm guessing they are banking on people not appealing so they don't have to pay out more money. Its unfair as I know so many people who don't need the mobility yet get it because they lie aabout they're condition. However for people like me who feel anxiety and extreme fatigue on a regular basis and on some days are bed ridden, it seems we are getting put to one side. I haven't had an sort of physio.. However it is so hard for me to move I doubt it will help much, I have been reffered to a pain clinic. I will get my doctor to write me a support note for my claim, he knows first hand how much this is effecting me, I just don't understand how a decision maker who has never met me should decide how 'disabled' I am sad 

Good luck for your claim. I really hope you receive it.

Steph xx

• Posted

Hi there again hun

thanks illlet you know i hope you do get some good news

love always

Cherl

• Posted

Hi there ive just found out that ive been awarded the higher rate mobilty and care and they will back date, but mine isnt with PIp and im already reciving dla so didnt have to attend a long medical as my consultant and gp wrote in my favour also our council fill in our forms so they attactche aletter and i also have a meds alarm installed in my house because of my falls so it all helps the claim but i hope you get your sorted soon hun love always

cherl

• Posted

Hi Cherl,

Congratulations, are in order! biggrin  There is a lot of things that can help your decision of an Award, but applying now was probably the best one. The DWP is pushing all appeals and extra claims through, to lower the massive Backlog caused by ATOS, which is being sold to the US company Maximus. The problem which we will see very soon, here in the UK, is Maximus doing Health Checks, face-to-face, etc. One problem is this company makes ATOS look like the best, Maximus in USA has many bad reports, getting past their accessments will be very different and hard, even though the DWP has the final say, but they are changing their 75 page guide to take in to account new changes applied by the DWP and these changes are terrible, towards the disabled living in this country.

I would advise anyone thinking of claiming PIP, DLA or ESA to apply now, before the takeover is in force, the backlog is somewhere in the region of 11 months now. Maximus is hoping to buy out ATOS once the backlog is cleared.

The descriptor points system is also changing, because the changes in the Guide for PIP has been published on various websites. The gov't tries to keep this information covered up. You'll probably see people have asked about the points needed for various things on this website, either they get no replies or any answers are deleted. A few people know the actual threshold for the descriptors, or they know detailed results to play on to by-pass the system. That's why the massive overall is coming, making people think twice before appealing, to cut the back log down - the decrease in Awards last year alone was 7%.

Some people are now stopping appealing, because the fail the initial claim - but if you think about it, if you appeal then you'll end up in the backlog which is where the DWP does not want you, so your chances increase as long as you take in to account some of the points I raised in this article:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/advice-on-applying-for-dla-disability-living-allowance--313511

Oh by the way, having Fibromyalgia Syndrome does not stop you claiming DLA or PIP. I will have to write an article on this because so many people think they cannot claim, when in fact they can. They normally fail at the first point, it's the appeal or after that gets them through - which many people do not realize or take notice of, so the claim is rejected by the DWP, and your'e actually, state you agree! Don't do this - it's the wrong approach, I speak to many friends on these forums and others, so I pickup information normally very quickly, or changes

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi Les..A very interesting read... I claimed DLA Twice, got turned down Twice..I appealed on both occasions..and got Turned Down...I were diagnosed with Fibro nearly four years ago. I know someone who applied for DLA when only been diagnosed TWO MONTHS. She has got Full Mobility Allowance, and the Blue Badge..Its just not fare...Best Regards Anne...
    • Posted

Hi Anne,

The main problem with claiming DLA is people are NOT informed correctly when making a claim, on how to address the main form itself, you get a Guidance Booklet, but this is practically useless if you ask me. That Guide is just a pack that informs you what you should be filling in, and not what you really need to write in various areas.

Also, note the numerous occassions you visit your doctor or consultant if you have one. There are other professional bodies that can help you as well, Social Workers for Adults, Occupational Therapists or any personal that knows you well and your current health. All this will help your application being looked at more thoroughly.

I know it's easy for me to say, and how you fill the Award form is crucial to your claim - but if it is not filled in correctly or up to a certain standard you basically lose your case before you are even seen.

You just reminded me, I need to write up a document detailing changes regarding ESA payments and Child Tax Credits, yet another area no one probably knows about.

If I can help you in anyway let me know.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi les. I hav psriotic arthritis. My hands and feet are bent with clawed fingers and toes. I hav had 3operations on my toes. I was rewarded pip. And now on review they said i dont meet there criteria. Yet my daughter has to do everything for me. Cos im in pain. My gp told me that dwp hav not even asked to see my medical records.and that they are to get in touch it her. Ive now hav to wear splints on my hands all the time. Ive put in for mandatory reconsideration. And am waiting for another operation on my toes. And my hospital are now making me special shoes to help me walk. Do u think i will win my mr
    • Posted

Hi,

That is ridiculous, you do not get better overnight, with what I would class as a "Progressive Disorder", this gives you grounds to fight the DWP on.

One note, remember you can get a 2 week extension on the 28 days they give you to appeal. No medical records, sounds like they are using one their "dirty tricks" on you, this happens a lot. The letter you got from them stating you no longer qualify, does it state at the bottom Health Assessor, as the person that done this?

An Health Assessor is just a name, they are not doctors or even trained. ATOS bought people from various employment services and some were even no-bodies with no qualifications!! Health Assessor you can question, on what their actual qualified as, you will find it's either a nurse, physiotherapist or even a paramedic (They were bought by ATOS last year, which caused many problems in the UK).

Ask your doctor if he or she would give you a copy of what they provide to ATOS. Anything you send to the DWP photocopy, because another "dirty trick" they use is supposedly losing paperwork, (They must lose an awful lot of paperwork in a year, and the tax-payer pays for their incompetence).

Because you have poor mobility, ask for the review to be done at your home, that way they can see you trying to cope in your environment. They cannot refuse this request, they may say we cannot do that - but they can, even if they put the phone down on you! (that's another "dirty trick") they use. After awhile you learn all the stuhpid idiotic tricks they use!

See how you go with that.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi les. My assessor was a nurse. The letter says that i hav a disability/illness but i dont fit there criteria. The letter isnt signed by anyone. Ive had arthritis since 2000, and neva claimed any benefits as i hav always worked. And still work. Cos theyve stopped my pip my tax creds hav stopped and my c/tax support has well. I only work 16hrs a week. Citizens advice hav said i cant get any benefits. Cos im single. My daughter is 21. And i own my house. Dont no wot to do.
    • Posted

There reason for stopping it is. At my assessment i cud take medication out of my bag. My bag only had meds in and weighs nothing. Also cos i drive.and cos i can pinch my some of my fingers. Yet they state that grip is weak in my hands. And cos i can walk round supermarket slowly. I go with my daughter. All these point i dont do daily. And cos i stand 30 to 90 mins at work. Shes not put that it is done in a 8hr shift.
    • Posted

Theyve not contacted my gp at all. Just gone by there assessor report.
    • Posted

Hi

I have been diagnosed with Fibro last year, after quite honestly years of suffering, I am also diabetic, i have applied for pip as i really need to see if i can go part time at work and this would be the only way to help, but have been refused. I am just about to fill in the appeal paperwork and would apprecaite your advise or anybodys advise.

Many thanks

• Posted

Hi my husband was diagnosed with this in August, he was already getting standard rate pip, but it states on the .gov site you have to report changes, so i told them about hus psioratic arthritis and palmar plantar pustulosis and today we've had a letter saying he's not entitled to any mobility component at all now. He is in absolute agony all the time, he's worse off now than when he first claimed and yet he's lost it. I am confused and angry ! I just wondered how you got on with your appeal ? and if anyone has any advice to put my mind at rest, i've sent a letter off today for reconsideration but i don't hold out much hope
    • Posted

My advice to you is get in touch with your local MP.Luckily my MP was able to sort this all out for me and I was reinstated
    • Posted

Thanks for that, if you don't mind me asking what rate do you get and is it for psioratic arthritis ?
    • Posted

Hello Les I wondered if you could advise me please I have read your replies on forum and you are very knowledgeable I really would benefit from your advice. I have no one to advise me on what is going on in my life at present. If you could private message me I will go into detail I am not very good with computers so don't no how to go about private messaging you. I am on long term sick leave and have a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome and Fibromyligia. I really would appreciate your help if you have time to reply, hope to hear from you soon Harriet
    • Posted

Hi les could you tell me what to expect in a pip assessment I'm due my tommorrow many thanks x

• Posted

Hi Les

I have just been turned down for PIP. They said I scored no points because I manage to work and do things fo myself. I have had to cut down my hours, and have to do things for myself because I am on my own, a widow.  I explained about the fibromyalgia foggy brain depression toredness etc and insomnia also the RHuematoid A And sjogrens disease all of the symptoms and how I feel etc.  I don't know what else to say if I appeal to be turned down again. I have a month in which to appeal. Have you any thoughts about this, they wouldbe much appreciated. Thank you 

• Posted

The best thing is to get as much medical evidence as possible. You can ask for. Mandatory Reconsideration if that fails you can go to Tribunal but it has to be within a month of when they say no again at the Mandatory Reconsideration stage. I fought them and won this way but it is horribly stressful being so uncertain of the outcome but it is worth it later
    • Posted

Hi there, thanks for your reply.  I will try then. But already gave a report from the hospital.  I know it's bad enough having these disabilities without having to fight for everything all of the time. Life wears you down!  It's such an effort trying to work, but maybe I should just give in to it, sometimes I have no choice, but you know the fatigue is intolerable at times.. 

• Posted

when

what is it with if not PIP...... u say yours isnt with PIP? what do you mean hun please? x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.