Diagnosed with arthritis at 17

Posted , 5 users are following.

After being in crippling pain for an unknown reason for months I was finally diagnosed with arthritis and hospitalised 7 weeks ago due to the swelling being left so long..my inflammation levels were at 313!, in only 17 and 1 week ago was taken into hospital again and i'm still here! I was just wondering if anyone has any advice as i'm just generally feeling fed up and down along with the pain as I was meant to go to university this year but now have to defer while all my friends are getting ready to go and going out and doing things during the summer I've been order to stay in hospital for 2 weeks and then mostly bed rest for 8 more, and because i'm so young when people first see me with my walking stick and splints I then need to explain it all to them and I feel like i'm being babied a lot and I know it's just them being helpful but i'm finding it really difficult to adapt to this being my new normal, also most of my friends have been great and coming to see me but a few of them just don't understand that for now I find it difficult to go out and do what I used to and for some reason get annoyed st me or act like this is no big deal and it's just all quite a lot to cope with

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

There is a great story which might help you.  It's more for people with invisible illnesses, and as you have a walking stick it isn't really invisible, but still....   Google the spoons theory.  

It's small comfort to you now, but it is really good that you're getting treatment and I hope you feel better soon.

At least you can get lots of reading done.  Any chance of being able to take a distance class to keep your mind occupied?

• Posted

Perhaps the friends who understand and accept your new normal could agree to explain your limitations to those who don't.

i would suggest that your feelings of frustration etc. are perfectly normal for a 17 year old. 

You are not obligated to give an answer to questions re your condition even to well meaning people unless you wish to.

as to accepting help my advice would be to take when you need it and decline politely when you don't. Conserve your energy, pace yourself.

Best wishes Amy for the future

this too will pass

louise

• Posted

Hello Amy, Can i ask what arthritis you have been diagnosed with, i only ask not to be nosy but because i have had arthritis since the age of 11. I have been where you are and thou i am a lot older now i have been through a lot and wore splints etc. I can pm you if you would loke me to. 

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth, it's not entirely clear yet however there is a little history of psorartic arthritis in my family so my doctors are thinking it is likely to be that form, that would be helpful thanks you.
  • Posted

Hi Amy,

I was 21 when I was diagnosed with arthritis, I woke

up to a swollen knee and painful feet. I've never been hospitalised and took myself off all medications at 22. I'm now 27 and rarely have any problems. It

is tough at first and it's difficult to explain to friends or others the reason you can't do the things you use to. People rarely understand that arthritis doesn't just affect older people and that's what I've battled

with the most.

There are times you feel down and question why it's happened to you. Things do get better, you figure out away to manage the pain and know your limits for things you can and can't do.

I hope things improve for you, look into types of foods that trigger symptoms and foods that reduce inflammation. Making small adjustments to your lifestyle can really make a huge difference.

Jenni

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.