Diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I started by going to my GP who listened to my condition and noticed that I had mood swings which went from being very depressed and tearful to being very extrovert and with a very sharp memory.

I was refered to a consultant at a hospital and had an interview which lasted for 90 minutes. The consultant was very nice but found it a bit strange that I kept accurate notes of all my medical appointments. The problem is its worse than that I can remember all the formulas and equations that I learnt at school. I can even remember my first and second Barclaycard numbers. NHS number National insurance number, hospital number and health centre number. Need I say more.

It is this sort of mental weirdness which indicates that you could be bipolar.

The consultant said this is normally picked up by the time you are 21years old.

Initally I was a bit worried but then I just accepted it and just watched my behaviour while I was out. If I feel depressed I just stay at home and eat a bit of dark chocolate and beetroot which seems to help. Have any of you discovered food which can help your mood swings.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I eat chocolate, Black and a plate of fish and chips.

A strong Ale and Malt Wiskey seems to hit the mark.

If our dog Pax picks anything is wrong He will give my face a wash and expects a cuddle.

BOB

• Posted

alcohol will exasperated symptoms...I'm not trying to start a tiff with you...nor am I judging you...I'm an alcoholic and it is very bad for my bipolar symptoms - mainly depression - if I include alcohol in any of my daily living activities.

• Posted

I am very much with you Misssy. I am diabetic and alcohol really makes everything worse especially as I have to take Pregabalin as a neuropathic inhibitor.

If you are on any type of medication you need to check if alcohol is OK.

I have been told that dark chocolate can help bipolar disorder but I do not really know.

• Posted

Yea, I really can't drink....I'm end stage alcoholism and every time I drink I chance dying.

Sounds like alcohol would not be good for you with the medication you are on....alcohol is not good for those who can't limit intake. I imagine if I could stick to 1-2 drinks alcohol may not affect my medication much...but I'm not one that can stick to 1-2 drinks....its more like 10-15 drinks on binges for 28 days....so no.

I love dark chocolate...its by my bedside for if I wake up hungry.  So, I don't notice any effect cause I'm back to sleep. smile

• Posted

Yes, I am sorry you are a recovering alcoholic. It's just the way your body sees alcohol. I was a real naughty lad for drinking in my early days but I could take it or leave it, I never got hooked. I should have though, the way I use to drink. It is something to do with the receptors we have in our brains. I tried smoking and hated it but my neighbour was hooked after two fags.

• Posted

Missy2

No Tiff, 

We all have our own problems and conditions, You rightly say you are unable to drink and you have good reasons for that.

My mediations stop me drinking to much and I drink what has been discussed with my GP. With getting older I will be reducing this activity so I am not under any risk, also I will be reducing my medication doses where possible, again because of age.

Everything  we do moderation needs to be considered.

BOB

• Posted

Ps

Remembering various numbers or other strange things can happen in various other Mental Health Conditions. I am envious, I suffer Chronic conjenital Short Term Memory Disorder and I can have problems remembering what day it is !!.

BOB

• Posted

I find that fascinating! For me I seem to have the Stephen Fry version of bipolar. Sometimes I am extremely switched on and receptive then other days I am tired, depressed and feel like hiding away.

My GP told me to put all my financial affairs in the hands of my wife because the type I have can cause you to go out and spend large sums of money. I never seem forgetful, just extremely under the weather.

Best regards

bobcrachet

• Posted

Yes I do not handle money so I walk about with no money at all, if I need fuel for the car she pays.

I go shopping and I am impulsive and keep putting stuff in the trolley, sometimes it get put back on the shelf.

I am not supposed to handle my medications, my Wife orders a new script and sorts them out in my tablet counter, she then gives me my tablets when I need them. She watches me and makes sure I take them. You see I tried to take my life. My drugs are hidden. I am also very forgetful. I have a short term memory conjenital defects so the day of the week means very little to me. She looks after my appointments and I very rare answer the phone.

I never get lost, sometimes I wonder if my wife would be pleased if I would disappear Lol

Can drive ok as well, I forget the journey I always get to where I am going so that is good

• Posted

I have the same issues with money... if i have control of it i will spend it all.. i do have a debit card but i try not to use it unless its absolutely something we need for the kids or the house. Alot of days i am run down and tired and cant remember anything. Then there are days thst i remember everything and function perfectly
    • Posted

You are like me jessica. The only difference is that I have someone to watch over my behaviour and take responsibility for the money. Its like being a little boy really but it works and keeps me out of trouble.

I hope you are well now jessica, it must be very difficult managing a family and feel unwell at the same time.

Best regards

bobcrachet

• Posted

Yes it is horrible feeling like this.. if i coukd id spend all my time in bed and do nothing.. but i have to force myself to get up and go to work for my kids. Then when im in what i call manic mode my mind goes crazy and i just wanna never be home.. ive been doing really good for the past couple months.. in November i had a manic episode and it was horrible in my house.. my husband and i did nothing but fight and argue and we i left for a few days.. luckily we were able to work everything out..
    • Posted

Dear jessica,

The secret is in communication. I have several health problems but I explain exactly how I feel to my wife to the last detail. She knows what is happening to me, my mood swings and even when I don't really want to get up, just like you. Because I tell her so much we never argue and I feel I get 100% support. Men don't always fully understand the situation so you may have to explain things to him several times before he really gets what you are saying. We are not the fastest at processing verbal communication. Sometimes we need things explained in different ways

I am not medically trained but I am sure you will understand what I am trying to say.

Best regards

bobcrachet.

• Posted

We have completely different symptoms. If I was on an upper episode when I was doing my exams I was unstoppable. I felt a bit strange but had total access to everything I had listened to on the three course.

I never experience sivere memory loss, I only feel really down.

• Posted

Hello Bob

It is all very strange in my case, I am sixty six and taking my Intermediate Power Boat Examination in March, also my Communication certificate. The boat we will get will need to be adapted and my Wife is also taking above examinations.

Because of my memory problems I have been able to address the problems somewhat by using my mid term memory part of the brain.

I have been disabled now for around thirty years and I always try and find a way to achieve my tasks.

My Short term memory was just diagnosed about 12 months ago, there are always ways to address our disabilities and if I find something else I wish to try I go for it.

BOB

• Posted

I wish you all the best bob and I hope your exam goes well. I don't know if I would be brave enough.

bob

• Posted

Bob we never give up to do that will just take us down in so many ways.

If I fail on above I will research something new, the planning of a hobbie can be just as much fun as taking it up. We just move on down a different pathway

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.