Diagnosed with GS two years ago... felt fine... NOW have mild jaundice

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I'm looking for a little confirmation of how normal this is to ease some stress that I'm sure a lot of us go through when your liver seems off.

I was diagnosed with gilberts 2 1/2 years ago and quite frankly felt fine. Now, not so much. I have mild jaundice in my eyes for about 6 months which quite frankly is alarming although I see this is "normal" from other gilbert people. I guess my question is WHEN does it go away? I have read after eating well and sleeping well it will go away YET I AM eating well and sleeping well. I'm getting 9 hours of sleep a night and have been eating healthy and juicing for the past two years. 

The other thing I want to ask is are syptoms always evident? I am 39 and this just started showing up? Why not before? 

How normal is it for someone to be diagnosed with this and feel fine and then later weird stuff starts to happen?

Thanks for any comments. I am relieved a little to at least join a group of us who share this.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Arthur sorry to hear that you are not feeling so good.  There is so much information to be absorbed and some I have found to be contradictory!  I was diagnosed with this in 2006 and got my information from The British Liver Trust. When my eyes become yellow which is characteristic of this condition I drink more water preferably boiled first thing in the morning and continue this throughout the day.  I have become more aware of the sugar content in foods and also fruit, I did read somewhere that with this condition it is best to avoid sugar as it thickens the blood, You have to with how you feel and report any changes to the doctor and ask for repeat Liver Function Tests . I hope that this is helpful. Some medics say that with this you should not feel unwell at all!!!!!  I think we need to be listened to.

Take Care

• Posted

I get mild jaundice on and off all the time, and it is very normal to get it, I was diagnosed 1 year ago and.I have felt worse as the year goes on.

I would say if it is bothering you that much go to your gp and they will do something about it

• Posted

Yes it is also helpful to keep a diary of how you are and also a food diary as sometimes we can react to this especially with rice, pasta and bread!
    • Posted

Add spices and herbs to the list of foods that can cause a high

bilirubin level snd the yellow eyes.

I stopped all spices and herbs and found a MASSIVE

improvement

• Posted

Arthur,

Unprocessed bilirubin in the bloodstream is what causes the yellowing of the skin and eyes. When this happens to new born babies they are placed under a "bili light" in the hospital that helps clear it out because the "Bili light" emits a blue color, part of the blue light spectrum. So what can you do as an adult? You can go outside actaully.  that blue spectrum and uv light helps the unprocessed bilirubin clear from the bloodstream, and thus decreasing the yellowing of your skin. 

I go know for me, getting in the sunshine helps tremendously to get rid of the yellow tint of my skin and eyes.

However, you probably want to look at why you turned yellow to begin with. This could be from a factor out of your control, or it could be from diet.

i have found wonderful releif from my symptoms by taking out refined sugar and all artificial colors and flavours from my diet.

good luck!

• Posted

Hi Arthur,

Gilbert's Syndrome is nothing to worry about! You need to stop worrying! Everyone in my family has GS. I am 60 now. My father is 94 and my mother is 92. They have it too. Please, promise me you will calm down. GS is a mild and common condition. Relax and enjoy your life!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.