diagnosed with lyme

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed yesterday with lyme disease after being bitten on holiday about 2 weeks ago. I have been prescribed a course of antibiotics for just one week which doesn't seem long enough after reading the guidelines which state at least a 2 week course is needed. Can anyone offer any advice please? Thanks x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was only given 1 week initially I made an appointment to see my gp before course ran out and then asked for the maximum course as per guidelines (4 weeks) as my symptoms hadn't regressed. She quite happily agreed. 

Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi Leanne,

You have been diagnosed with LD. You need the four week course of Doxycycline. 

If you need advice on how to discuss this with you GP, you can contact Lyme Disease Action who will email you back. They really supported me last year when I was diagnosed.

It's important that you get the right treatment now. Don't "wait and see" as it's very difficult to receive additional treatment if your symptoms reoccur.

Good luck!

• Posted

I was given 30 days of doxcycline....everyone seems to say 30 days!!...mine worked perfect I think...because I felt better on the 2nd day   and have been my normal self ever since....about 3 months now....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.