Diagnosed with shingles now appearing on both sides

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with shingles by my GP and the blistering rash is under my right eye, down my right arm, down my right upper leg and now I've found that it is now appearing on my left arm. I was told that it will only affect one side of the body. Why is there now spots on my left side? I am autoimmune and have been sick the past couple weeks. Please help. Any input would be helpful.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Anti virals  numbing jell & numbing injections help. Try not to scratch and spread the infection. By scratching the fluid from the site can be spread to other areas of the body and keep hands away from eyes.

After my first break out my doctor still gave me the shingles immunization to prevent frequent and less sever breakout in the future.

be sure to ask for the immunization for shingles. It's a really positive way to manage this infection. 

Hope u have antihistimes and liquid antihistamines help too.

• Posted

Dear Christina,

First, I am so sorry you are Ill with this disease.

Herpes Zoster-Shingles usually affects only one side and one dermatome, and supposedly doesn't reoccur often, but...

When you have an autoimmune disease, or are immunocompromised, Herpes Zoster-Shingles decides to go overboard and attack more than one dermatome, in your case four. Does your GP know it has crossed the midline? You may need to be hospitalized. I would call your rheumatologist STAT, as the Herpes Zoster-Shingles seems to be getting out of control.

Also, are any vesicle-blisters in your right eye? If so, you need to see an ophthalmologist STAT!

If you are on immune modulating drugs for your autoimmune disease/disorder, the Herpes Zoster-Shingles takes advantage of the lowered immunity.

Please let me know how you are doing.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States.

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

As is the case with immunodeficiencies, mainstream medicine has little understanding and no cures for autoimmune disorders. i have a few.

What immune modulating drugs would you suggest for Shingles. Shingles is from a source contained in the nerves in the back from having chicken pox as a child. 

As adults the virus can become active causing shingles. 

In most instances, mainstream medicine employs unnatural immunosuppressive drugs to reduce the immune system response such as biologicals. Besides a number of dangerous side effects such drugs often cause, they also reduce the body's natural immune response to actual illness.

The natural way to bost modulate immune system is vit D-3, magnesium, black seed oil and more. Also a clean diet.

any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated. Especially managing the intense itching.

• Posted

I am not recommending any immune modulating medication for you. That is for your rheumatologist to decide and are for auto immune disorders. They are not used for Herpes Zoster-Shingles...I am sorry that I confused you.

I was merely commenting on those of us who have Herpes Zoster-Shingles and are immunocompromised. I do not take any immune modulating drugs. I also take Vit D3, as I tested very low, and magnesium. I also adhere to a high Lysine, low Arginine diet.

Regarding the itching, some individuals find that oral antihistamines work, and some find that they do not work. Generally, the more sedating the antihistamine, the more efficacious it is at controlling the itching. Oatmeal baths may work when you are in the bath tub.

Numbing lotions containing Lidocaine or Benzocaine applied topically over the itchy area containing are reportedly effective.

I hope you are feeling somewhat better, at least. I know it is too soon for a complete recovery.

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I also thought it could not cross to the other side of the body.  While it may not be common, it is possible.  I was diangnosed at 21, and am now 48.  Until last year I would only get a silver dollar sized ring of rash on the inside of my right leg.  I now get it on the right AND left side of my head and face.  Luckily because I've known the early symptoms for so long, I've only broken out on my scalp once since i thought initially it was some sort of insect bite.  Surprise...it moved! Now I get that terrible nerve pain on my scalp and face (both sides) and start the Acylcovir immediately.  It stops it within a day.  I am also now autoimmune but only recently.  But otherwise very good health.  This board has been so helpful and the people very supportive.  I wish you the best and knowledge is key with this. Feel better soon....

• Posted

Kbelly1968

When you start feeling the symptoms and start taking the antivirals how much and for how long do you take them. Also, how did they discover you were autoimmune? Mine comes on both sides and I am worried something else is wrong with me.

• Posted

Michelle,

I always have a large bottle of Acyclvir on hand and take 1000 mg three times a day.  My doctor didn't put on the bottle how long I am supposed to take them but a nurse practitioner on this site (her comments listed above on your thread) said 7 days.  I checked with my pharmacist and he confirmed that.  

My autoimmue is Microscopic Collitis.  It was discovered in late 2013 after 2 months of diarrhea.  They had to do a colonoscopy which appeared normal but they did a biopsy of my tissue and came up with that diagnosis.  Strangely, I had picked up C-Diff, which is pretty unusual for people like me, healthy with no antibiotic history or stays in the hospital.  No one knows where it came from.

Since then, I get outbreaks much more frequently.  Thankfully I know the symptoms and can stop it.  Having it on the face and head can be much more serious.  It's all about being prepared.

• Posted

I'm so sorry you have had to deal with all of that. Thank you for your advice and help.??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.