Diagnosis is looking like BPD.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Im so worried about starting my new medication quetiapine 25mg at night. I have been told by the docs and read forums that weight gain is very likely. Why oh why?

Also they will start reducing my venafaxine slowly.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have been taking quetiapine 50mgs for nearly 2.5yrs and have not put on weight although I am pretty strict with my diet. I also take lithium
    • Posted

Thank you Lynne

I have put on 5 kilos already! My anxiety has reduced but feeling very low at the moment...im going through a lot of medication changes so probably why my depression is creeping back. I just want my sparkle back. Hope you are well.

Jacqui

• Posted

Lynne, when you say strict with diet what exactly do you mean?  I saw the psychaiatrist on Tuesday and was prescribed 50mg Q per night, I took 25mg Wednesday evening and felt really happy, upbeat to the point I started to feel high on Thursday, also felt my speech was thick too.  Took 25mg again Thursday evening and was the same on Friday but add in my tongue was too big for my mouth.  I was also constantly hungry.  Not feeling my brain work was freaking me out too so last night (Friday) I didn't take it. Today my tongue is still too big, my brain is working doubletime and I feel dizzy.  I'm really concerned about the side effects and them affecting my behaviour, I definitely think I was noticeably off at work.  I've been taking 225mg venlafaxine for 9.5yrs and have gained a lot of weight which has also affected my mood so the thought of gaining more terrifies me.  I know this sounds vain but I don't look in the mirror any more as I don't recognise myself and that freaks me out too, so further weight gain just isn't an option for me.  I'm struggling to decide whether I take it tonight or not.

?Thanks in advance for any suggestions anyone has.

Phyllis

• Posted

Hi Jacqui, I hope you're doing ok with your new drug regime. Sadly I must be honest and say yes, quetiapine does cause weight gain in some people. For me personally I gained over 4 stone in a year, but I am one of the really unlucky ones as some people don't put any on at all. After much research (I'm training to be a nurse so I've had access to my uni library), I've come to the conclusion that Quetiapine, along with Olanzipine which is worse, radically change the way your body metabolises fat. I have been in the gym for the past 4 months and haven't lost anything, dieting has proved futile as well. I'm very slowly coming off it now, moving on to a drug called Lurasidone which I would really recommend. My advice to you is be really careful increasing your dose as it is a really hard drug to come off of- even a drop of 25mg (I've gone from 275mg to 100mg in the last few months) can give me really crappy withdrawal symptoms. Not a nice drug for me, but I wish you the best with it as I know it really helps some people. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.