Diagnosis of Barrett's Mucosa

Posted , 2 users are following.

Diagnosis of Non Circular Barrett's Epithelium from 39cm to 1cm. 2 biopsies were taken 3 weeks ago but no results yet. What does this mean, don't want to google too much. Also to go for Barium Swallow to exclude a functional disorder.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You have a diagnosis of ordinary Barrett's. This is a permanent change of the usual (squamous) cells lining th einner surface (epithelium) of the oesophagus with columnar ones which resist acid erosion better.

(See the attached graphic, "Simply Put" for genesis of Barrett's, or find it on the Barrett's Wessex website linked to under "Related Information" on the right. )

Usually Barrett's is found as a ring of changed tissue ("Metaplasia" ) around the circumference of the oesophagus, with possible tails and protrusions. Your doesn't form a complete ring. It starts at 39cm from your incisors. (Measurement is crude using marks along the endoscope recorded at the tooth guard where the scope was inserted. ) It's extent is just 1 cm - which is quite small. If there had been a complete ring, the protocol would have been to take 4 biopsies, they only took 2 from you. It can take some weeks for these to be analysed but it is unlikely they will reveal any dysplasia. (Dysplasia is where the cells may mutate towards cancer - which is very rare and not worth worrying yourself over. )

Barrett's may be thought of as an untrustworthy friend. It is protecting your body from digesting itself but does have the slight possibility of misbehaving so the doctors will need to keep an eye on it with surveillance scopes every few years. As yours is so small, that could be 5 yearly intervals or they may say it's too small to worry about.

You wil find too many scare stories if you Google. That's why my charity, Barret's Wessex is setting up a directory site "Barrett's Oesophagus UK", which may be found at www Barretts org uk, to sites and information specifically about Barrett's.

• Posted

Thank you for explaining this to me, feel better with your reply. Read simply put, thank you for this also. Sharon
  • Posted

Just had my results which said no Barrett's, sometimes is may look like Barrett's on scope but my biopsy says normal mucosa. Worried for 7 weeks but lesson learned, wait for results and don't fear the worst

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.