Diarrhea for three months now..next step is colonoscopy but I'm scared to have it done

Posted , 8 users are following.

Scared of the prep the procedure and most of all being sedated never been sedated or put to sleep before

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The Prep is just like having a stomach bug for a day only you dont feel ill like when you have a stomach bug. It is annoying and a bit boring to be honest but nothing to get worried about. The sedation affects people different ways: some think they have been asleep (they haven't actually) and some people have quite good memories. I have had the procedures a few times and have had some where I have little memory and some I remember the whole thing. For most people the worst part is the worrying!

• Posted

Hi,

I must admit that I a lot of anxiety prior to my first conoloscopy. After this first procedure was completed, I knew thst my fear was totally unwarrented. Just chill out and follow the instructions, I am sure that you will be fine with it all. I hope that your doctor will have good news for you.

• Posted

I'm sure thats why I'm worrying so much first time around and don't really know what yo expect..hopefully I get the nerve up to go through with it...and thank you I pray the results are good

• Posted

It's not that bad really.. I've done it twice.. The prep was the easy part. I asked not to be put to sleep and that wasn't bad looking back. There's a couple of pains here and there if you're awake but you don't feel anything really because you have gas and air to suck on. I you're awake you get to watch it all on the monitor if you want to. The dentist is worse.

• Posted

Cindy

I had chronic diarrhea for 2 months. I had a colonoscopy in June. The unpleasant part of this procedure is drinking the liquid which cleanses your system so they can more clearly see. The liquid itself looks like water, but has an unpleasant taste. But you CAN drink it. It is mean to flush out our systems before a colonoscopy. The prep is, for me, the hardest part. Regarding the sedation, let me start by saying how 'scared I am of all medical procedures'. I understand that some doctors do not sedate the patients before a colonoscopy but it sure allows you to have it performed with no memory of it.

A nurse puts in an IV (about the same minimal 'ouch' as a blood draw) right before your procedure the anesthesiologist gives you the general anesthetic before the procedure begins. Other than telling the anesthesiologist what a nice smile he had, that is my last memory, before waking up in recovery.

Please know that I am NO fan of any procedure, but the sedation is extremely helpful for those who run to the 'fearful side.'

Good luck with your colonoscopy, as I said the drink isn't the most pleasant, but the sedation is nothing to fear. Hopefully they will find the cause of your diarrhea. Mine has finally been brought under control. Yay!

• Posted

Thanks for the comment glad to know I'm not the only person that has fear...glad you have yours under control ..what was your diagnosis if you don't mind me asking

• Posted

Cindy

Let me start by saying I had a 7 disc fusion surgery last October, which is a 1 year recovery. I think the heavy pain meds I was on for several months contributed to my health issues today.

Lol remember, I've definitely got the biggest 'trophy for scared patients.' In late May I went to ER, as I figured this diarrhea had gone on too long. In June I had the endoscopy to help determine the cause of the diarrhea. Nothing conclusive was found. In July I finally got into see a gastroenterologist. He had undergo a endoscopy. Yes, another procedure I dreaded. This time no prep other than fasting and again I had general anesthesia. Upon waking the doctor informed my husband and I that I have a 'non bleeding gastric ulcer.' He prescribed medication and thankfully the diarrhea is gone.Sorry, long explanation, but I feel that I've experienced lots of medical issues before getting to this point. Regarding sedation just ask the doctor doing the procedure what type of sedation he uses... sedated but awake or asleep.

• Posted

Oh wow....glad they came to a conclusion with yours and it was nothing extremely bad...thank God I've had no blood so far just the irritating diarrhea..I would much rather them sedate where I would still be awake I'm gonna call tomm and ask before I reschedule ..thank you..I have two small children I over worry everything I know

• Posted

Thank you Cindy. I guess after my second endoscopy in October, I might know if I've improved. ... I don't look forward to another procedure! Guess, sometimes in life we have to do things we don't like, if it's too help us out in the long run. U will be ok!!

• Posted

Hopefully you have...I'll send prayers your way..your right I've had to do lots of things I was scared to do guess this will get added to the list..I always think the worst hopefully once I get it done its something that's not so bad

• Posted

Cindy

Thank you, prayers are always appreciated! Well, like you've heard, 'the prep' is the worst part. Not scary wise, just 'taste wise.' But who knows, you might think it's not that bad. Again, whether you have conscious sedation or general anesthesia, you will be comfortable and calm. Thank goodness for sedation.

Please let me know how it goes for you. From one fearful person to another, you will be just fine.

• Posted

The prep is the worst thing!....i have had 5 colonoscopies and found the prep more difficult than the exam itself. As for going to sleep its actually called "concious sedation"... so you will probably be awake. Hope all goes well...they will give you the preliminary results straight after the exam.

• Posted

I think the type of sedation used is up to the doctor doing the procedure. With both of my colonoscopies I was given a general anesthetic. I was not awake during either of my procedures. That said, seems that above all we 'as patients' are always kept comfortable.

• Posted

Thank you I was wondering how long before you got results

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.