Diarrhoea

Posted , 6 users are following.

My Mum has moderate stage Alzheimers and has also just been diagnosed with diverticulitus. She has diarrhoea most days and now constantly wears disposable pants as she cannot get to the tolet on time.

Now I know she hould be eating a high fibre diet but her appetite is really bad. She has porridge every day and a few veggies.

Is there anything the doctor can give her like a low dose diocalm?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,so sorry to hear about your mum,you could try Fybogel twice a day morning and night,its a bulking agent and its been a life saver for me.Hope things improve.
  • Posted

No it helps with diahrroea aswell,it regulates the system,might be aswell introducing it slowly over a few days .Hope it helps your mum.
  • Posted

Porridge goes staight though me and high fibre is not good when you have diticulitis and a no no when you have diarrhoea try more plain food
    • Posted

I had diarrhoea almost constantly and my GP prescribed Fybogel and it cleared it up within about 5 days and i still take it,so it does work for some.
  • Posted

No high fiber diet until diverticulitis is completely resolved. I had to do a low fiber diet for a few weeks per my doctors instruction and I agree with her since I am now feeling like myself again 6 weeks after I was diagnosed.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about your mum I agree with Yvonne I take Fybogel and it helps me I wouldn't be without it I hope your mum feels better real soon xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.