Diazepam 5mg withdrawal daily long term use

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was prescribed Diazepam 5mg before bed time for restless leg syndrome. My doctor left me on it for 4 years. He moved recently and my new doctor took me off of it.

I tapered off taking 3/4 of a pill the first week, 1/2 of a pill the second week and 1/4 of a pill for a week.

I have been completely off of it for almost 2 weeks now, but I am still having horrible withdrawal symptoms of ringing in my ears5, being disoriented, sweating and feeling bad in general.

Is this normal and if so, how long does it last?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Four years was a long time to be on it, especially given the very long half life of the drug. I'm just a little surprised you didn't need to up the dosage over that period of time.

?That's a much faster taper then I'd personally have been comfortable with, your new doctor should have slowed it and then stepped you down to 2mg tablets, to taper more easily and in smaller dosage decrements.

From where you are, it could take weeks to start feeling normal, unfortunately it could even take months depending on the person. I'd almost be inclined to see out a new doctor or try explaining to your current doctor that this really isn't working for you.

• Posted

Thanks so much for responding. Luckily, I never felt a need to increase the dose. It continued to work with just the 5mg amount.

I felt fine until I began to taper off of it, then the withdrawal symptoms immediately appeared and have been non-stop ever since.

I was getting concerned that I still feel just as bad after being completely off of it for almost two weeks now. I probably just need to give my body longer to adjust and definitely seek a new doctor. When I explained the withdrawal symptoms to her, she didn't think that I should be having withdrawal symptoms since it was a low dose of it at 5 mg.

• Posted

I've just sent you a PM. Best thing I can say here is to try and not over exert yourself too much. Withdrawals suck at the best of times, even under a nice slow taper.

Monitor yourself and how you're feeling, make a little dairy so you can take with you... detailing the symptoms you've been having, severity, frequency, jot down everything that isn't normal... you can even do it retrospectively for the last couple weeks... and then continue on from today.

It'll help you cover things that you might forget to mention during an appointment.. it also gives you some level of evidence to say, this is whats happening and may end up being beneficial in the long run.

• Posted

yes, you can actually get a condition called " protracted withdrawal" for going too fast. there is no need to rush. it is not worth it. get your new doc to let you go at a comfortable pace. i started going numb, my arms and legs, and one arm just drew up completely. once you get into protracted withrawal, you are stuck with it.  it is crazy how such a small amount of these benzos can create such horrid withdrawals.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.