Diazepam taper, NOT a minutes sleep in the last 3 nights

Posted , 4 users are following.

Almost 2 months ago i started my diazepam/zopiclone taper , just taking diazepam , I am now on 3 mg per day - probably not enough to help with sleep ? , But as i am typing this i am shaking having zero sleep in well over 72 hours plus . I certainly dont want to take higher levels of diazepam again or any zopiclone re the really bad and rare side effects which initially effected me mostly why i want these drugs out of my system. But i need to sleep and cannot , i have suffered severe insomnia over 30 years .

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I empathise totally with you.  

The problem is that you have to have time and space to do the tapering.  I am on holiday - 'supposedly a relaxing experinece' - but the disruption to normal routine has meant I have increased my valium intake, and am pretty upset by it.  I know now that any disruption or stress might trigger this, and the whole process is really difficult, and can realistically take years.  I was down to 3mg of valium a night like you and sort of coping, but then something stressful - more than the usual happened - and my dose started creeping up.

All I can say is - presevere. I have gone backwards, but when I get home again I can start on the tapering again properly!

We can do this.

Lots of Luck!

• Posted

Thanks ursulauc  , thing is i do everything right - i dont drink never smoked not overweight - get to the gym when not exhausted and shaky dont drink caffeine no other drugs/meds , i have even put anti heat reflective window film on my east facing bedroom window , eat almonds and a banana as a snack before bedtime , absoulutely nothing  works . 

I think i am going try a med named circadin 2mg , i just enrolled on sleepio course 2 days ago - but not slept since , doing almost anything is becoming dangerous ,and concentration is almost non existance

• Posted

I know where you are coming from. I am generally pretty fit and healthy, eat healthily, hardly ever drink, and dont smoke.  However, this sedative addiction is really insidious. Its totally physical, and I have cut down on diazepam and tried to come of a few times, and after a week without, the withdrawal creeps in, and within a few hours its the shakes, the adrenaline rushes, the shakes, disorientation, - it is horrendous. I've never known anything like it. Its awful and extremely frustrating, - its like your'e trapped.  

Youre brain 'forgets' to release chemicals - Gaba Receptors is it? - which people need to feel 'normal', and has to somehow re-learn how to do so, and its very hard. 

Nice if someone could come up with an antidote to the withdrawal, but as yet I dont think there's anything on the horizon.

It just has to be taken slow - very slow tapering, otherwise, no, one cant function normally.

• Posted

Fred I went 6 nights with no sleep while trying to switch from xanax to diazepam. I gave up on the diazepam as it did not agree with me, seemed to build up in my system. I went back to the xanax I have rarely taken over .05 mg and that is just for sleep. I now take .25 mg xanax and do ok. Insomnia is terrible I have been plagued by it for 4 years it is at the root of many of my problems. Good luck, get some sleep.
  • Posted

The only sleep aid I have been on is zoplicone.  I was taking 7 (7.5mg) a night for a very long time.  With help from my doctor I started weaning down. Now I am only taking half a pill and doing very well.  When I go to bed i think positive things and totally try to relax.  I have been dozing off and on but must be getting enough sleep because next day I feel fine.  I also am feel much healthier.  My doctor told me to go down half a tablet a night for awhile until i have made it to just half.  I eventually want to come right off.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.