Did anyone withdraw using tablets not liquid?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am considering a slow taper. I am on 15mg, very afraid after almost 4 years to withdraw and this forum has frightened me I must admit lol!

I am ill with an underactive thyroid and chronic fatigue but I feel the mirt is adding to it. I feel sedated all day, I never felt it this bad until a year ago so it could all be related to my thyroid. I just have noticed my mornings I feel so dizzy eyed, weak, foggy head and heavy eyes. I have this worse on some days but every day I have those symptoms until around 11am or till after lunch. I am sure that's mirt even if it is worse in the last year. I have chornic fatigue due to my health conditions but my concern is mirt adds to it. The first 2 years were fine, I ran, did yoga, worked out, and had bags of energy but after 2 years my thyroid failed and I had chronic fatigue. I just worry with how bad the mornings are it has to be mirt related.

I have also not found losing weight easy even though I needed to gain weight. I also have high cholesterol since on them. I have found they helped me through a traumatic time, I found them very helpful as I have felt so much calmer on them. I was attacked 4 years ago by my brother and had to walk away from my mother and sisters who made mylife hell for not forgiving him. It was a horrific couple of years and mirt did give me some peace, I felt much calmer so I do think that on them I am a calmer, more content person. I used to be quite short tempered and stressed but on them I am so calm and chilled, my children would get away with murder haha. So I do worry coming off them I'd go back to feeling that high anxiety, not sleeping or eating and short tempered but maybe the short temper and not sleeping was all due to the severe anxiety and trauma i was going through. Maybe I am now just so drugged up I am unable to be anything but laid back ;-) Yet I do still have anxiety and low mood, and my agoraphobia has returned in the last year due to the chronic fatigue and dizziness, it has all made me lose my confidence. 

Every day I drive myself mad worrying mirt has caused the fatigue, my high cholesterol yet I am scared to wean off incase i have a bad experience and I go back to severe anxiety, insomnia etc... There is only one way to find out and I can't stay on them forever can I. I may be wrong and it's just my health issues causing my fatigue and weakness.

My GP won't prescribe liquid, I am currently on the 15mg Activis tablet. Has anyone used milligram scales and weighed them out to withdraw? any advice? I want to do a slow taper as advised here by Calmer.

Thank you

Julie

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I made my own liquid. It was very easy. I used to crush up a 30mg mirtazapine and mix with 30 ml water or water mixed with a syrup such as maple. Then used a syringe to acurately measure the amount of mirtazapine I needed. Easp peasy because 1ml of the liquid = 1 mg of mitazapine. The liquid must be thoroughly shaken each time because mirtazapine does not disolve. You need a pill crusher or pestal and morter. Sorry to hear of your thyroid problems. I found I was hyPERthyroid after getting off the mirt. I don't know if it was the mirt which caused it.

• Posted

HI JINGYD36,,when i was on the mirt and wanted to quit slowly i cut a 30mg into 8 parts =3.75mg,,this is easy to do if done very careful,,also in my last post to you [no reply] i suggested that the 15mg mirt was no longer helping you as it should and said to do a slow taper to 7.5mg and so on ,,this helped me [and others] so much with the anx/tiredness/ect,,and impoved more,,it must be terrible to be so scared to take the first step to RECOVERY,, BUT YOU NEED TO START SOMEWERE,,the thyriod problem will not help much,,im sure it is the mirt ,,are you being treated for the cholestrol problem,,also why do this forum scare you we all want to help you,,,good luck,,,,,,,,,,,,BLUESY
  • Posted

Hi, 

I tryed the MG scale they are very $$ and the cheap ones doint work well, cut up the pill like Bluesy was saying I jumped of at 7.5,  been off  for 17 days but have had to reinstate a couple times as the Insomnia is HELL, Most of the time the MIRT stops working after some time, Most people will feel sleepy and fatigue when they first start takeing it, Also if you deside  to get off, do it during a low stress time if you can. 

• Posted

My Dr recomends that you start a taper by reducing to 3/4 of a 15mg pill for about a week and then go to 1/2 for a week and then 1/4.  I think I will do this soon too but start with dropping only 1/8 at a time. It's a slower taper and the pills are easier to cut into 1/8ths.  Hope it works out for you.

al

• Posted

Calmer knows her stuff. Read her posts/ links, it will help. Personally I think the Mirt has added to your 'Ailments', When you quit Mirt it takes up to 12 weeks before you start to see the w/d's all go ~ but it does!! You have to stay strong, believe the truth and 'never' quit ~ especially when you start feeling your worst. You will start to feel hopeless and worry it's only you having these feelings! You'll question yourself again and again and start thinking your going a bit bonkers ~ you'll start thinking there's no coming back from these worries.

Every time the anxious mode comes... just Breath and realise these feelings 'will' gently disappear and they gently will.

Before you finally quit read Calmer's posts on how best to taper slowly (less w/d's)

Make it as easy as possible. There is a way of not freakin' ourselves out whilst doing this, if we did it this way we'd have more chance of seeing it through to the finish line

It can be done so good luck.

• Posted

I have reduced using tabs. I got down to 3.75mg then stopped but had sleep issues. As that is why I went on the Mirtazapine years ago I put myself back on 7.5mg and it helped me sleep again. I've got a heavy schedule so I need the sleep. I intend to try again soon. You can get a tablet cutter from a chemist or online. It's hard the cut the 15mg into 1/4.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.