Did muscle tightness cause L5S1 herniation?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello

I'm after some stories from people in a similar situation to me. I'm in the 'it's not fair' stage after an MRI showed my sciatica/numbess was due to L5S1 herniation on the left hand side. It also showed significant back muscle weakness.

But I cycle regularly, often did 15-20 minute weights workouts / abs before work, walk often - basically I thought I was a fit 31 year old who'd never have a slipped disc.

SO WHAT THE HECK CAUSED IT??? Is it the fact I stopped regular yoga around 6 months ago and now my muscles are imbalanced from all the cycling / sitting for 8-9 hours a day (I now have a standing desk)? In doing home workouts was I engaging muscles in the wrong places? Should I have stretched psoas/hammies more?

Does anyone else fit and young out there have an 'unfair' disc herniation and got to the bottom of what caused it? Will getting a PT help?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sometime it just happens bad posture sitting for long hours bad form at gym just bad luck I asked myself the same question? I'm 30 and 1 week post op microdisectomy l4/l5 I was supper fit ran daily weights Pilates the only thing I could put it down to was having 2 pregnancies close together! I suffered for 10months pt did help to a point I was able to function but was restricted in certain activity the disk was just to big!! I'm sure yours won't come to that I'd say definitely try intense pt for at least 2-3 months it might b enough to sort your disk. Out. But if it doesn't don't b disheartened my surgeons say my op was a success and I'll b back in gym in 8 weeks good luck

• Posted

Thanks Hayley - they've told me I need a discectomy but I said I'd rather wait, because some of the function in my left leg is returning.

I keep seeing PT on the forums, does this mean physio therapy or personal trainer?

Thanks again and all the best in your continued recovery!

• Posted

Good luck with your recovery I had a Microdisectomy 2 years ago. My advise don't rush your recovery and don't go back to work for at least 6 weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.