Did my GP give me correct information?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have just been on a camping weekend where several people were bitten and have been diagnosed with Lyme Disease. Everyone was advised to se their GP it they had bites. Mine were two mozzie bites at the site but when I got home the next morning I found two typical tick bites on my thighs. I went to see the GP and he said if I didn't see any ticks on me it's highly unlikely that they are tick bites. Is he correct? He has given me antibiotics in case it they get worse but they are fading, should I still take them?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Liz,

Just to make sure, you need to take Doxycycline for 28 days. You really don't want to mess about if there's the remotest chance you were bitten by ticks and have Lyme Disease. Believe me, it's awful. Better safe than sorry, continue to take the antibiotics. How many days supply were you given?

• Posted

I only got them today and haven't started them yet as have to take them on an empty stomache, I think it's 7 days supply. What is Doxycycline? The bites were over a week ago now.
    • Posted

hi Liz.  i'd concur with Caroline.  whilst, i'm not a big fan of Antis., Lyme's a horrible disease.  better safe than sorry.
    • Posted

Liz,

I had Lyme Disease last year, but am no medical expert. If you'd like some advice, I suggest you take a look at the Lyme Disease Action website. You can even contact them and they will respond to you very quickly. I found them very helpful and they are a recognised source of information for both patients and medical practioners in the UK.

I hope you feel better soon and all the best.

• Posted

Thank you for your help, I have been trawling the internet and found some good information.
  • Posted

Definitely take them ASAP but take at least a month of them, if not more. I had no evidence of tick but a rash which very quickly expanded and then lyme diagnosis a few months later.
  • Posted

hi Liz,  My opinion is Your GP IS WRONG! once a tick has fed on you it may easily drop off or get rubbed off. I was bitten 12+ years ago. Got home from South Devon and found the bulls-eye rash on my leg ( tho had no idea what it was at the time and had no identifiable syptoms). I have been extremely ill the past 7 years and was only diagnosed with Lyme disease correctly this January. My advice would be to make sure your GP has given you a strong dose of the correct antibiotic and start taking them immediately!. Chronis Lyme disease is hell, so avoid at all cost. good luck H
    • Posted

Hester, I started taking the antibiotics several days ago and I feel ok, but as I think I was bitten very badly many years ago, and like you didn't know what the marks were, I wonder if I have had it all along as I have a very compromised digestive system and other things which I have suffered from. My plan is to see another GP in two weeks as I'm told that it may not show up if I have a blood test too soon and a month is the right time. Thanks for your input.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.