Did you hear of bisolven does it help dry mucous ? having trouble andfood is not going down easily

Posted , 3 users are following.

bisloven for mucous dry  mout have you use this product??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes, absolutely, though I don't know whether it would be powerful enough to help if you're having problems eating. It's classified as a mucolytic (i.e. breaks down mucus).

I normally only take it before going to bed. Unlike you, I don't have very serious problems with dry mouth so I don't have difficulty swallowing food. But I do have terrible problems with thick, sticky catarrh at night. I also have a rather thick, short neck (in spite of the rest of me being fairly slim) which means my air passages are very small to start with. As you can imagine, this combination is a recipe for sleep apnoea!

Although Bisolvon (generic name bromhexine hydrochloride) is a life-saver for me, I do find I have to be careful not to take too much. Even taking the maximum dose according to the packet tends to give me palpitations and minor asthma attacks, in which I cough up a lot of clear stuff.

To summarise - good stuff, but can have side-effects and I'm not sure whether it would be strong enough to cope with severe mouth dryness. Well worth a try though.

I don't think you're in the UK, are you? I'm not either. Last time I looked, it wasn't available in the UK. I went on a trip to London in the spring and managed to forget my Bisolvon. After a very unpleasant night, I trawled round several pharmacies and was told it wasn't available in the UK (not OTC anyway). All they could offer me was cough syrup!

• Posted

Lily  i have troble with thoat tighten and last night pill wont go down i know i haveGerd anddid not get scoped yet/ I actually think anxiety is his

I so freaked about all this.

Bisolvent only y=take a little.  and mucus more at  night with  dy mouth

i want to take the med is called solvene?????The Drs wont give me anything blood test are normal and i have all the sympotoms///Probably i have had thios for  5 months startedwith bladder goingvey 2 hours and zntibiotics cause candida

im  not as knowledgable as people thathavehis for years...I need to eat more and fat foods....I have to gain weight lost 12 lbs...Im ready to eat a steak...veggies are all it seems people eat and i hat quinoa.  i know....change my dietf

miss cofee and wine

• Posted

Hi Suncat, Sorry to hear about the pill-swallowing problem. Some people are just like that, it doesn't have to be a Sjogrens thing. I've never been able to swallow tablets that don't have a shiny coating - I have to chew them!

If it's Bisolvon you're having a problem with, it comes in syrup form where I live, so I imagine you'd be able to find it too.

A couple of years ago, when I couldn't swallow solids for three weeks due to an accident (non-Sjogrens related) I got round it by grinding up tablets and mixing them into soup, yoghourt, pudding etc.

I don't know what solvene is so can't help you on that one.

As to diet, I know a lot of people on SS sites say they eat vegetarian... but then a lot of others go for the paleo diet, which includes large amounts of meat! Find the diet that suits you. I'm an omnivore - I eat a bit of everything. Except quinoa. I know it's highly nutritious but I can't stand the stuff either!razz And you don't have to totally give up coffee and wine. I drink a couple of glasses of wine most nights and an occasional cup of coffee during the day.

The main thing to cut down on is sugar, especially refined sugar. So don't put it in your coffee and cut back on ice-cream, pastries, biscuits/cookies, sweets/candy etc. (I'm being very trans-Atlantic here, just in case!) And don't forget there's a lot of sugar in fruit, especially smoothies and juice. I restrict myself to max two pieces of whole fruit per day. But that doesn't mean you can never treat yourself to something sweet - moderation in all things!

In your case I'd also advise avoiding dairy (especially chocolate) late in the evening, as it does increase mucus production. But no reason why you shouldn't eat high-fat dairy products during the day, especially as you need to put on weight. It's sugar that's the enemy, not fat. And if you feel like a steak, why not go for it, if you think you can swallow it? Have it with a glass of red wine to help it down! I eat red meat once a week and I don't think it affects my Sjogren's either way. 

Suncat, I'm not suggesting you're crazy or anything, but Sjogrens can get you down, and it's a vicious circle too, as I'm sure you've noticed. The more we worry about ourselves, the worse the symptoms get. This is true of all illnesses, but especially the auto-immune kind. Are you able to get yourself referred to a therapist for a course of CBT? This might help you come to terms with your condition.

But above all, be kind to yourself. Find out for yourself what foods you can and can't eat, and don't let the "food police" bully you!

• Posted

Lilly thnk  you tonight maybe thats my mouth is dry tonight nothing works...water makes dryer//

mucous is dry yet thisis the wors t night ive had.  tried drops candy and biotein.. I ate squash maybe im allergic???Im scared please help the dr here in Sydney arenot good.. No one can help me. I need to sleep.I can deal with anything yet mouthdry...It won let up sore throat sometimes... always clearing may throat xxxxxthank you

• Posted

Hi Suncat, I'm going to reply by personal message. You'll get it soon.
  • Posted

Ive never heard of it .i am going to try the biotine which is otc but the dry eyes and mouth isnt a big issue for me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.