Diet after resection

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a double resection 10 days ago. I've been on a soft diet eating very small quantities of soup, yoghurt and fresubit nutritional drink. I was wondering if any had a timeline on when I could try some steamed fish and mash and eventually more solid food? Does anyone have a timeline of when you can eat what after surgery?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have never had anything like you have been through but when I was diagnosed with U.C.  I was seen by a dietrician and they advised on diet etc.  Have you not seen a dietrician and if not I would suggest you ask to see one, especially after what you have been through.  However, I wish you well and hopefully someone that has been through what you have been through will answer you.  Take good care of youself.
    • Posted

Thank you Maureen for replying. I have not seen a dietician. The advice from The doc when I left was vague.
    • Posted

Unfortunately my consultant is very vague but he did put me in touch with the various people with regard to diets etc.  The Consultants are really only there to diagnose and carry out proceedures.  Insist you see some one about your diet etc. and you should have a nurse that you can contact with any worries.  Everyone is different with what you can eat but I have found that grapes are really bad for me and peanuts.  Onions can be bad sometimes.  Just eat a little of things you haven't tried and wait for the results.!!!.  You will get there for sure.  Good luck and let us know how you get on. 

• Posted

Thanks Maureen, I have a general IBD helpline number they gave me. So will call it tomorrow. Hope you're doing well.

• Posted

thats terrible that they did not give you proper advice post surgery. ring up the hospital and ask to speak to someone.
  • Posted

Hi, I had a small bowel resection nearly 4 years ago and back on the ward I was given my menu and there were no restrictions, I looked at it and thought I can't possibly eat just anything like curry etc so I went back into Crohn's mode and chose bland food. When I came home I bought that many cooked chickens and I felt nauseous around the supermarket trying to decide what to get for meals, so much so that It was becoming a phobia. How much of it was in my own mind I'm not sure but it took me months to try a more varied diet. I am left with bile salts diarrhoea which wasn't confirmed for months, I thought things were still settling down so even though I have just been told I have been in remission since the op I still can't eat anything I want, I think I am scared of pushing things in case it starts up again so I am still mindful. Nobody advised me or said don't worry you are fine to eat and drink what you want, orange juice was too acidic although I could drink it before. I am not very good at speaking out, I got sent to a dietician but that just entailed FODMAP all over again so I just coped on my own. Bring it up at your follow up appointments or get in touch with your GE or google post op dietary advice

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are still struggling with food. It sounds like a nightmare. I was looking into a paleo diet for when I've recovered. Have a look online. There are some free sites though there are books available too. I've decided to cut out refined sugar.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.