Diet for lichen planus

Posted , 57 users are following.

Sometimes it's hard to figure out what foods cause LP flare-ups. I'm beginning to think cheese is a problem. Any suggestions?

7 likes, 88 replies

88 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Possibly agree-also yoghurt. Certainly tomatoes , blueberries, peppers, chilli , some types of chocolate. Trial and error really 
  • Edited

I am %100 sure it's wheat. As there is no research for this bloody disease I decided to try things from clothes that I wear to detergent and washing tablets that I use. I obviously tried the food group as well. It was heart breaking to find out that, it was wheat.  If I eat a lots of sugar and wheat can't sleep from itching and I get new LP blisters/spots if I eat a bit in the morning (as I love my bread) I am ok during the night. 

I also find out instead of expensive cream any cheap cream with Vitamin E is better for my skin. 

I don't have LP in my mouth so sorry that you have so can't help regarding the tooth paste xxx

• Edited

Are you sure wheat is problem. because I have tried chapati and poori (indian foods )recently. After sometimeI I got lycan planus. ..I think chronic stress is another trouble. ..
    • Posted

Hi there. I am new to LP. I hate it too. I have an overlap over actinic chelitis so I need to have some spots burned or frozen off but we need to co trip the LP before I can go there with the nitrogen. I don't have any sores inside my mouth. The tops of my lips seems to be most affected although the bottom feel like sandpaper too. I can't use anything but A&D diaper rash cream as everything else even aquaphor hurts like you know what. I'm startling to agree that foods might play into my problem. On Halloween night I had some wine and woke up the next day and my lips looked like wax plastic lips. They were more sore than they have ever been in my life. I almost drove to the ER I was in such pain. My doc put me on some Dapsone and a steroid cream as well as prednisone. So the prednisone took the swelling down and made them abnormal color again however in three days I've gained almost 6 lbs. so we aren't supposed to stress but this isn't helping my cause!! I don't know what to do. I saw you said you use Vitamin E. Like a pill? Or did you poke a pill and apply it? Please tell me anything. Any foods that make it worse or should I pay for the $350 allergy food test my insurance doesn't cover? Yesterdaybi had a subway and all these whitebpapoules showed up so that tells me wheat doesn't help. Please advise!! I would be SO grateful. Last thing- I had a dental bridge last year put in. That was March. In April the burning and tingling started. I guess there is a blood test to determine (also not covered by insurance) called the Clifford test that will tell you if any dental work is causing LP. I'm almost scared to open that can of worms. ive discontinued my blood pressure medication which was a diruretic and they say that can be a cause so before I go blow a bunch of money I'm wond ring if I can control it with a great lip balm and ibuprofen. Can anyone advise??!? I beg of you.. this is awful! Thank you Melissa

• Posted

Yes! Im sure that STRESS is a key factor.... being the Christmas season- it makes sense
    • Posted

Thanks! I have had LP for SIX years now. Currently worse flair up; ever. I stopped eating gluten and dairy for 4 months once. A tad difference in skin, but lost 15 pounds. I am going to do another gluten-free trial, and let you know what happens. This thing is miserable. I am a walking bloody battlefield.
    • Posted

I've had LP for 2 years and found remission by improving my gut health through probiotic and flaxseed oil tablets. I've been tested for gluten intolerance and test was negative. I try to stay away from gluten but its difficult sometimes. It doesn't seem to bother me though, suger also. I've come to the conclusion that I'm just going to eat what I want and focus on healing my gut. I do believe I have IBS but have never been diagnosed. The IBS I believe plays a roll in LP flare ups also.

• Posted

Hi Carolyn,  I am Coeliac but can't even eat the gluten free stuff!  I maintain a strict wheat /corn/barley/oats and rye free diet.   It didn't stop me getting OLP!  I know exactly what set me off though - Benecol Yogurt.

Just the one.  An hour later my mouth burned.  3 days later the first symptoms of OLP started.  I never really ate yogurt before.  And won't be doing again biggrin Seems a few people are pinpointing yogurt and cheese.  Those are my triggers.   So maybe it isn't wheat related OLP.  Maybe the wheat issue is perhaps a sensitivity to gluten.  This usually causes abdominal issues.  do you have them too after eating wheat stuff?

• Posted

@garbear Did do you have oral lichen planus or the skin rash lichen planus?? Does the probiotic & flaxseed oil help with the skin rash? i’ve tried Purslane herbal supplements but that didn’t work after four months of using it. i’ve had this for four years and it only went into remission once for like four months. 😦 Thanks !

• Edited

I don't eat wheat, chocolate, or sugar, so those aren't the problem. I suppose dairy needs to go. I probably should not have my normal glass of red wine with dinner, but if I do that, what is left? Potatoes and carrots!
    • Posted

alcohol makes my skin rash lichen planus flare up bad! Date nights with my husband I suffer. Wine is the worst for me. Truly selzers werent too bad.

• Posted

Enjoy the wine. Probably , cheese, anything.dairy and any acidic fruits.
  • Posted

What about meat or fish? Does it mostly depend on the spices used, or can the meat itself cause inflammation?  
  • Edited

I eat a lot of fish with or without sauces. Very little meat , very occasionally 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.