Diet for over active thyroid

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I was diagnosed with over active thyroid a week ago. Can somebody please advise what kind of diet is suitable for over active thyroid? I have tried reading up on it but iI am getting very confused. What food is safe to eat and what kind of food should be avoided?

Thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

A balanced diet that includes all food groups is the best to ensure you get enough vitamins, minerals, proteins, etc. I would recommend Magnesium rich mineral water (for example instead of filtered water) to replenish minerals lost while being hyperthyroid. 

There are some vegetables and fruits called goitrogenic (reducing the output of the thyroid). These are helpful for hyperthyroid patients and include cabbage, broccoli, pak choi, kale, strawberry, etc. 

Try to include Brazil nuts into your diet, they contain selenium, a mineral that is beneficial for hyperthyroid patients. 

You could avoid eating (excessive amounts) of seaweed, or dried seaweed, since it contains an unusually high amount of iodine. 

While being hyperthyroid and during treatment with Carbimazole my neutrophil count was below normal range. If you tolerate milk products I would recommend the regular consumption of yogurt or even better (homemade) kefir containing live lactobacillus strains.  Acid tolerant bacteria (like to ones used in soured milk products) have been shown to pass through the stomach and populate the gut leading to a boost of the immune system

• Posted

Hi Sherlyn,

I am overactive too and started recently Carbimazole. I have as well removed gluten off my daily diet, which means I do not consume it reguarly but I might have something containing gluten if, for example, I go out to dinner. This would be no more than once every 10 days or so.

I as well do all the things that Dan says in her reply.

I think I do feel better, whether this is due to the gluten free diet I don't know. However it is discussed in several studies that gluten is not ideal for people with autoimmune issues (my hyperthyroidism is due to Graves).

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I am on carbimazole for about almost 3 weeks and i seem to be getting better. Not sure also is it due to a change in diet. I have totally avoided seafood except fish. And i am trying to move towards a gluten free diet. However, i am still confused with regard to dairy and soy product. Can you help advise?

• Posted

I personally try to avoid soy, except when I go to an Asian restaurant. As well soy contains wheat often, hence not gluten free (unless clearly specified).

I have been told to try and reduce dairy too, but I find this most difficult, a lot more difficult than gluten. I don't think I will ever manage dairy free...

• Posted

Hi my comment was deleted because I mentioned a paleo diet endorsed by someone! Not to advertise but because it worked for me 😁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.