DIET IN HYPERTHYROIDISM

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello All,

I am hyper but from then it started i am constantly loosing my weight. My endo advised me to stop carbimazole to perform a thyroid scan. But i am very much worried about my weight. Please suggest me some diet or suppliement or any tip to regain my weight. 

Thanks in advance smile

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Usually the weight loss stops if you are on a proper dose of Carbimazole.  What I found for me was that I was deficient in Free and Total Carnitine and vitamin D and magnesium so I needed to add those as supplements.  There was a research paper that showed it was beneficial for hyperthyroid patients to take 3,000 to 4,000 mg a day of Regular L-Carnitine because when you are running hyper you lose a lot of vitamins, minerals and amino acids from your muscles.  Until your levels stabilize, you need to avoid heavy exercise.  Eat a healthy diet of proteins, fruits and vegetables.  Do not have the artificial sweetener Aspartame as it worsens the condition.  If you have rapid heartbeat, your doctor might have advised you add a beta blocker like Propranolol to your treatment regimen.  All of this will help stabilize you and your recovery.
  • Posted

Many hyperthyroid patients lose weight since their metabolism works at a higher rate. My advise would be to eat according to your appetite. Don't be too worried about losing some weight. Just make sure you don't start to lose muscle mass. Try to eat healthy food with plenty of protein. Include nuts and fruit to get minerals and vitamins.  

When I was hyper I would regularly have to get up during the night to eat. I estimate that I had to more than double my calorific intake just to keep the constant feeling of hunger at bay. Still I lost weight (about 3-4 kg).

After the thyroid medication worked the hunger reduced and I started eating less. I then put on the weight I had previously lost and I am feeling fine again.

• Posted

I suspect the only way to stop weight loss is to get the numbers under control which, thank God, happened for me. According to what I've read and heard, the Paleo Diet works wonders for autoimmune disease. I asked my doctor if foods mattered and he said no but I personally know of a young woman with Graves' disease who has been in remission and feeling fine with diet and exercise. Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

HI Muhammad,

?I lost 10 lbs being hyper.  I asked my doctor what I could eat to help and she said that they don't advise anything!  So I went to a nutritional therapist privately and she gave me loads of advice.  I was told to eat 5 or 6 meals a day but they all had to be healthy.  It would include as many different types of vegetables as I could.  I had mushrooms, asparagus and eggs on wholemeal toast for breakfast (or something similar), mid morning I would have a smoothie full of lots of vegetables and fruit, lunch would be some sort of salad containing advocado's, nuts, oily fish, mid afternoon snack would be humous and oat cakes, dinner would be quonia with chick peas, vegetables and chicken.  Before I went to bed more humous and oat cakes.   All would be large portions.    In 6 weeks my bloods changed rapidly and I have now put all my weight back on.  I was also put on supplements, Co-Q10, antioxidant and pro-biotic.  I think because my diet has been extremely healthy and the supplements have helped I have reacted too quickly to the medication and have now gone underactive all within 6 weeks!

• Posted

Sounds great Sara1384! Same thing happened with me. I asked my endocrinologist for advice regarding foods to eat or not to eat. He claims it doesn't matter but many Graves people have told me differently. I haven't been strictly eating healthy, but when I do, I notice a difference in the way I feel. I try not to get involved with supplements, but know they help many people. Thanks for the info.

• Posted

Hi Anachr,

I understand how you feel about supplements as was also anti them as didn't think they were necessary. However I think when you body is ill it pulls on all sorts of resources and makes us deficient in many areas. So will stay on them until my bloods are back to normal as I'm convinced they have really helped. I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thank you, I hope your bloods are normal soon. It's not that I'm anti anything really because what works for one person may not for another that's what makes us all different. It's just that my body is hypersensitive to medications as well as supplements unfortunately, and acupuncture didn't seems to improve my symptoms much either but I do appreciate knowing any alternatives as you never know the body chemistry can change.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.