Dieting while taking metformin

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Ladies,

Just a little bit of advise needed, I am currently taking 1 metformin tablet a day and I was wondering if anyone from personal experience can tell me what foods i should be eating and shouldn't be eating, I have seen a couple of comments on here to stay away from sugars and that the slightest bit can ruin any chance of being pregnant? PLEASE HELP.

Thanks xx

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Well i currently take 1500mg a day which is 3 pills a day with food. I am now 7 weeks 1 day. I started back taking it in January 2015. The things i eat is whatever i want basically i do stay away from refined sugars but if i do eat something containing sugar it would be Splenda like my cereal of Kellogg's and 2% percent milk. I drink a lot of water cause metformin makes u very thirsty. I also don't drink soda's i usually subsitute the sugar free drops ins and add it to my water. I love ice cream but since i am on metformin my body rejects and i will go straight to the bathroom so i usually when i have a craving for it, i only have a small scoop to satisfy my cravings. Usually when my body don't suppose to have it, im usually paying for it in the bathroom. TMI but its the truth. So what i do to make my life simplier i usually enjoy what i want but not the sugar, I only enjoy a small amount of sugar 1 time a week. And my doctor said my levels are good, and i am still losing weight 2 pounds a week so far and im pregnant. So the pills i take make me retain and hold on to food a lot longer then me being off of it. Some people say cut carbs and sugars but i still enjoy my carbs but not the sugar and i have been doing fine. The doctor told me to eat food that are naturally sweet like apples or pineapples and water melon, and thats what i do. Im in love with popcorn now for sure lol. My sugar is the only thing im trying to work on so any progress is better than none. Do whats best for you cause everybody is different and have different results.
  • Posted

Hi kirsty

firstly thank you for your feedback regarding a pcos group I too felt very lost when first diagnosed with pcos.

With regards to your concern about eating etc I am also on 1500mg a day and trying to fall pregnant I have been trying to stick to a low Gi diet if you Google foods Gi value it tells you all about them and low med a high foods. Sugars are Def a no go zone for us pcos suffers however I think a little of what u fancy now and again don't do any harm! Xx

• Posted

Hi Emma, 

You are most welcome smile... Thank you SOO much for telling me about this one, i'm deffo going to give it a try as i am also trying to conveive and after 3 years of NO contreception had no luck so far but I have let my weight spiral out of control since finding out as i got my self into a dark pit of depression and couldn't get out! But im a lot better now smile My family and friends and partner are very supportive but it's hard for them to understand it because they don't have it! so always nice to get support off the ladies on heresmile xxx

• Posted

Yea Def stay positive! When I was 22 I lost a stone and a half and fell pregnant had a baby boy I've put on 2 stone since he was born and been tying again for baby for 6 months with no luck as yet I've lost half a stone now so hoping if I loose a bit more I could be in luck again xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.