Difficulty breathing in sleep but I'm conscious when it happens

Posted , 3 users are following.

Sometimes when I try to fall asleep I get a weird sensation being that I can't breathe properly. I have to take a very deep breath to make it go away then I wake up and I wake up at the same time I take the breath. Weirdly I can feel myself not being able to breathe whilst I'm sleeping but my eyes are closed and I can't move even though I'm conscious. It can be quite disstressing as occasionally, when I haven't had the sensations in a long time, I don't know or remember what's happening to me. Thanks.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Max, it's sleep paralysis but starting just before you fall asleep instead of on waking, which is the more common version. It's fairly common and completely harmless, though I know it's scary.

As you've said, you always break out of it - and you always will. I've had it for 50 years, mainly on waking but sometimes when falling asleep, and it hasn't done me any harm.

If it happens often, it might be useful to try and identify the conditions under which it happens. For example, are you too warm in bed, too cold, very tired, not tired enough? Is it associated with any particular food, drink or activity late at night? And does it happen at times when you're stressed or anxious about something? If you can identify and avoid the triggers, you'll be able to reduce the number of attacks.

• Posted

You maybe having symptoms of Sleep Apnea. Have it checked ASAP.

Do you get fatigued in the day, and feel you need to sleep? 

Not moving is common in sleep, but not breating isn't. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.