Difficulty Swallowing

Posted , 4 users are following.

Recently when I am eathing or drinking sometimes, I have difficulty swallowing?

Its really frightening and annoying and some people are quiet aware of it?

I persume this it just another symptom of my anxiety/depression

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes it could also be acid reflux this often makes you feel like something is stuck as it all rises
    • Posted

I had an endoscopy and barrium swallow this year and it wasnt mentioned so dont think its that
  • Posted

It could be acid reflux. I was recently diagnosed with it a few months back. I have a lot of issues with acid reflux and heartburn, acid indegestion. They things are from anxiety also. I would go to the doctor and have them check it out. But I wouldn't be too worried. It's annoying but if you take Prilosec it helps.
    • Posted

No dont think its acid reflux as had the endoscopy and barrium swallow done this year
  • Posted

Oooh i hate this anxiety symptom so very much. I have gerd and reflux as most people with panic attacks and anxiety do acquire but this is the most dreaded symptom. You need to see a gastro doc so he can give you a baseline on your belly issues. Then handle it as anxiety after that. I use nutritional drinks during these times as they are thicker, tastoer and slide down easier and give me the nutrition needed to function otherwise. They have chocolate, strawberry or vanilla and even juice flavors. They make them for adults or for children. They are so,d supermarkets and pharmacies even in the large chain convience stores. They do help you at least feel better health wise.

• Posted

Its horrible aint it, very scary :O

I still am eating and drinking as normal but sometimes I get that gagging feeling so I jump forward with it and try and swallow

• Posted

This is the only anxiety symptom that i do reach for xanax with. Yes it is horrible and scary. 
    • Posted

yeah its awful. Off antidepressents too months now and just feel awful
  • Posted

Ever hear of L-theanine i just bought it. People swear by it and it sold in vitamin stores. A very long time ago. I weaned off meds it was an experience ill never forget.but i take the occasional xanax and mostly do cbt and listen to audiobooks on healing. Eating clean and healthy does make me feel better which is interesting on the food connection, i allow cheat days too so nothing becomes overwhelming. I believe if you take one day at a time or even sometimes one minute at a time it is bearable, expect that throat thing..i truely hate that and take a half of xanax and then try and keep as busy as i can or start looking up comedian routines..anything to get my mind off that u til it goes away. I looked into nergy healing stuff like qi-gong which is interesting to try out as an additive to cbt and eating healthy.i dont know thought id share.
    • Posted

Thats a great reply as I have weaned off antidepressents myself 2 months ago and am struggling big time after been on them 10 years.

Am taking Lyrica daily and Xanax when required to help from the withdrawal.

Have tried the L-Theanine on and off but not long term so maybe ill try these again.

I have done cbt before and am currently doing an online course again and reading loads of books about overcoming depression etc.

I also try the Reiki, I tried lots of stuff to help and will continue trying till I get this horrible illness under control

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.