Difficulty swallowing, pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey everyone, I've been having difficulty swallowing for about a month and a half. Recently the muscles around my neck feel tight and tender especially under adam's apple. Went to the doctor and was given a thyroid ultrasound. Results checked out okay. I have a barium swallow in about a week. I still have to schedule an endoscopy but there's a decent wait so that'll take some time to get into. Hoping for the best.

Anyone had similar stories? I'm not sure what I am going to do if they tell me nothing is wrong. It'll be a relief, obviously, but I don't know what I'll do about this throat tightness and swallowing problem.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like gastric reflux, causes tightness, and difficulty swallowing when flared up.

Anxiety also makes it worse!

Have you had your stools tested?

Also if it turns out it's gastric reflux, there are ways of helping.

Either ppi medication or total diet change.

Do you drink coffee, eat a lot of carbs with protein?

I've had your symptoms and every test including endoscopy to rule anything serious.

I've been researching ways to help with my gastric reflux.

Keeps us up to date, and good luck.

(Stay away from coffee!)

Google gastric reflux x

• Posted

I was put on Omeprazole 20mg mornings for 4 weeks. No difference came of it. In fact, it feels like it might be worse.

Thanks for response. I'll definitely seek the endoscopy out.

• Posted

hiya your right gettring everything checked out, and hope you don't haven to wait too long for scope, usually 2 week wait. I'm sure everything will be ok. If discomfort when swallowing, try soft diet and try to avoid bread.

• Posted

Thank you Tina. I've been eating more soft stuff, essentially whatever is comfortable. At first adapting to the new diet I wasn't getting enough calories but since this has been going on I've found what works so I'm getting more calories now which is good. 

• Posted

If you have a smoothie maker,

Ice cream, a little full fat milk and loads of different 🍉 lots of calories and still your five a day. Purchased one for my husband and I'm enjoying them as well.

• Posted

Some form of relaxation therapy might help.   Also try Gaviscon (over the counter) just in case it is caused by acid reflux.

​I do not think it is  a case of nothing being wrong because your body is telling you otherwise.   The barium swallow test should help to diagnose wjhat may and may not be wrong.

• Posted

Thanks for the response. Yeah, it's like my neck muscles are starting to progressively get tighter when I swallow so it leaves my neck muscles really tired and tight.

I was on Omeprazole and didn't see any improvements.

• Posted

Did you. Get your barium done? Did you still need a scope after? I am too scared of the scope!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.