Difficulty walking unaided without limpig

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, I am almost 3 weeks since my LTHR. I am doing fine in all departments except when I walk unaided around the home I notice that I am limping. I have no trouble walking with one crutch. Any tips on how to overcome the fear of falling, which is what I think stops me. I just find it very frustrating. Am I expecting too much too soon? Thanks for listening (reading).

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ruth

I'm glad to hear your doing so well I'm 40 and 4 weeks post I can walk fine but using 1 crutch as still healing going on deep inside for the last week iv been doing 4 miles twice a day on exercise bike that has helped build the muscle and more or less got rid of limp but still going to stay with 1 stick until I see surgeon in 2 weeks time keep up the good work the limp will fade away

• Posted

Hi there Ruth your expecting to much to soon at

only 3 weeks you must remember what you've

been through don't push it your body is telling

you you'll just do it when your ready,just like I did today no crutches yahoo,but very tired now so back on one crutch and resting .

I'm nearly 7 weeks post op and getting better all

the time .love and hugs from the U.K xxx

• Posted

Hi Anna, I guess I have to slow down and learn to be more patient. Thanks Ruth
  • Posted

Hi Ruth

Try slowing down. We all have a tendency to try to walk at our pre-op pace - and we can't.

Also don't forget to clench your bum and suck in your tummy. Add to slowing down and - hopefully - you should feel more stable.

Best of luck and let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi Ruth, I'm 53 and nearly 5 weeks post op. Down to one stick now. I too limp alot if no stick, I think it's just we need to build our strength up. I saw physio last Friday and have no appts to go back as they said they can't do any more for me than I'm. Doing already.

I think the important thing I've learnt on here is that everybody's journey is unique to themselves. We all heal at different rates and even maybe exercise at different rates. The important outcome is that we heal and learn to walk again without the pre hip op gait! Don't worry hun, you're only 3 weeks post op. We'll all get there "at our own rate".

Good luck, update us all on your progress. Cathy XX

• Posted

Thanks  Cathy. Will give update at a later stage. Ruth
  • Posted

Wow Ruth! Where is it?....the train you want to catch!! Haha yes you ARE rushing and worrying-don't! There's no need.Your body will recover in its own time.You must trust it and also remember you've been through MASSIVE surgery.It may be an operation that has impressive results but it's still massive.All those tendons and major muscles cut away to put in your brand new hip.Keep going and remember you are still in the very very early days.Love and peace.Jo.x

• Posted

As someone said, I need patience, and I need it RIGHT NOW !

Yes, you are expecting too much too soon - it all takes "as long as it takes".  We all heal differently, at different speeds, and have different experiences.

Just celebrate walking without pain, the limp will go given time.  

• Posted

It is wonderful having all this good advice on tap, thanks to this forum and it's lovely people. My daughter who keeps telling me to take it slowly says that this forum is proving to be her greatest ally. Ruth

• Posted

Absolutely - it helped me so much, I was determined to provide as much help I could to others coming along behind me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.