diffrence between tablets

Posted , 7 users are following.

i have been told there shouldnt be any diffrence in talking diffent brands of omeprazole tablets. but i find some dont work as good as others and cause more discomfort than usual. i have had a hihatus hernia op a few years ago and still take omeprazole for acid indigestion has any body else found useing diffrent brands causes any thing to them

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paul

Okay well here's my thoughts on this matter.

I have asthma and I do find that the inhalers are definitely different. The cheaper versions are rubbish and just don't force the spray out as fast as the more expensive ones therefore, for me they don't have the same effect!

Tablets? I have heard this said before but in all honesty I can't really say.

Word of warning though :oops:

I am on zopilcone and started a new batch Tuesday night. They were a different colour and different size - different box and different blister packet! Tuedsay night I didn't sleep very well nor did I have that awful bitter taste that came with my last batch. So me being me - red alert! Melbi thinks :weird: how dare the doctor give me a placebo batch!

As if I am not going to notice - so he thinks my insomnia is all made up! Last night, because I am :zen: decided that after taking my prescribed dose of 7.5mg and no bitter taste, no feeling drowsy or heavy limbs took another 7.5mg.... so what? Placebo right? WRONG!

Oh boy! Did I sleep - apparantly my daughter came into my room at 10pm moved my cup and shifted the cat and I didn't budge!

So do they differ?

Melbi x

• Posted

I've had a recent problem with one brand making my symptoms worse. It seams that different companies use different fillings and this can effect how the medicine works. I now have a record on my personal details telling them not to proscribe this particular make to me again as I have a negative reaction to the ingredients. I've had two other brands and they are fine.
  • Posted

The only difference I notice is between the loose filled type and the solid filled type, the solid ones give me gut ache, the loose ones dont smile
  • Posted

I am responding to Paul's experience of Omeprazole

I've been taking this med for yonks (technical expression), and IMHO there are differences.

For a long time it was marketed by a company called Doctor [something or other]. No probs.

Then I found that my friendly neighbourhood pharmacist was obtaing it from a different supplier, the licensee being Alpharma. First of all there are marked differences in presentation. The capsules are colour coded quite differently (yellow, instead of the two tone pinky brown used previously) and instead of the usual push-out 'blister pack' they were in a pack which required me to peel off some foil, which I found frustrating and difficult. [b:c56fa5e00b]Most importantly, though,[/b:c56fa5e00b] I believe that this supply exacerbated an existing problem with flatulence. This was all somewhat worrying. Was it the right med?

Have now received my latest scrip which is from a licensee called Dexcel Pharma. These have reverted to the previous, more acceptable, presentation although I still believe that the med is responsible for flatulence (read the leaflet).

I am amazed that, as my pharmacist said, a manufacturer can unilaterally change presentation not only of the packaging but also of the colour coding of the capsule itself. I foolishly assumed this was standardised in the industry.

If they can do that, how do we know what's going on in the med itself?

• Posted

I agree! What i've found is that the solid fill capsules aren't as effective as the loose fill versions, so i steer clear of them now. It's expensive enough to get these tablets on perscription, but if they aren't effective, it's like getting a kick in the teeth for your troubles!
  • Posted

I too was given a different brand of omeprazole recently and noticed my heartburn wasn't controlled as well. I contacted the pharmacy and was lucky to get a very kind pharmacist who said she would swap all medication for my usual brand (they only had 10mg of my usual brand rather than 20mg so I was just given double my amount of boxes). My heartburn was controlled again after a day or two. I firmly believe the brands are made up slightly different and don't suit everyone.
  • Posted

I have definitely noticed a big difference in the effectiveness of different brands of omeprazole. The only one that works for me is one that is beige and purple... the ones that are all beige or beige and pink don't seem to work at all!
  • Posted

Hi

I would definitely agree that there seems to be a difference in the different brands of this drug, also to me I can also tell the difference between taking the tablets or the capsules ( although my G.P does not agree with this) although I am currently trying to get off this drug after taking it for the last couple of years, however I had started asking the chemist ( before handing in my prescription, as once handed in you cant get it back ! what brand of omeprazole they stocked, } if they did not stock the brand of capsules I preferred I took my prescription elsewhere, simply due to the fact that certain brands did not seem to work the same for me.

• Posted

Hello Paul I have a hiatus hernia and take omeoprazole tablets . doctors want me to change to the capsules but like you i found a big difference  I get so much pain whatever is in them is not good for me thats for sure.. Its not the fact its a capsule as i can take other capsules with no problem.  Doctor tells me they are cheaper and seems I am the only one in my area that cant take them.

Regards Vee

• Posted

Hi Paul ..I to found a difference ,,I was prescribed omeprazole ,,can't remember the brand but when I got my next lot it was Dr reddys ,,took there's for about 2months ..didn't control my symptoms at all.I spoke to my gp who gave me a new tablet ..works okish . better than Dr reddys ,,so yes I do think different brands have different effects . try n stick with your usual ones ,,,good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.