Digestive health, how to improve it

Posted , 5 users are following.

To cut a very long story short, how can i help and improve my digestive system?  i have had a few health issues and lots of tests in the past year.  I want to improve ways to keep my digestive system running smoothly.  Any suggestions please?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I personally found that the good intentions of professionals and dietitians were not for me. For instance I was told I HAD to eat roughage in the firm of a cereal. I did and it did me more harm. I found out by trial and error that I cannot eat some nuts nor cabbage. I avoid curry as that has spices that will upset my tummy. But please remember this is just me. I would advise you to avoid any foods that upset your digestive system. Make a note of them. Try all types of bread, white brown or black. Try various types of milk, soya etc. At all costs avoid diets as these can really upset your digestive system.

good luck

• Posted

Have you a condition such as IBS which is being treated? Have you had digestive problems for years or is this a new experience.Short of you consulting your doctor all I can offer is something of my experience as I have got older. When i was younger I could eat almost anything with no problems. Nowadays if I eat fish and chips I get indigestion for a couple of days so I no longer eat that food. I sometimes get griping indigestion if I eat an apple or bread. Things change with time. I gave up all alcoholic drinks two years ago and my digestion improved dramatically. No more heartburn. It's not well known but for some people caffeine can cause heartburn. because it relaxes the oesophagus. You might like to keep a food diary and you may find a food that does not agree with you. Have a chat with your doctor.
    • Posted

hello there, i have suffered from gastric reflux for years and i have quite a few ongoing health issues at the moment and my digestive system is one of them.  I had an endoscopy which threw up a hiatus hernia and i also thought i had gallstones so had a scan and it showed up i have a liver cyst which i am under a consultant for (it's not cancer).  I have already changed my diet dramatically recently ie i dont drink alcohol, i have cut right down on carbs and sugar and am eating lots more healthier and feeling the benefits already.  I'm sure as i carry on losing weight things will improve further but i just want to make sure i am looking after my digestive system as i have been feeling so ill lately.   Has anyone ever had a colonic hydrotherapy treatment and what do they think of it?  thanks
  • Posted

I'm Type 2 diabetic, obese (although am losing weight and have lost a stone so far), i have a hiatus hernia (diagnosed in March) and have suffered from acid reflux for years.  I recently thought i had gallsones because i had (and still have) a mild pain/discomfort under my right rib which sometimes radiates to the back.  My scan showed all OK EXCEPT they found a cyst in the liver which i am under a consultant for (nothing serious thank goodness!).  I just basically feel like sh*te most of the time (no energy etc) and am thinking of asking my GP to refer me to a dietician and even thinking of seeing someone privately to help with this.  I just want to feel normal again.
    • Posted

Have you had a vitamin D test? Lack of this vitamin can make you feel unwell tired and hurt all over
    • Posted

No i haven't how do i get tested for this?  do i see my GP?  i think i could be lacking in all sorts of vitamins as i take quite a lot of medication and i know that these can deplete the body of vitamins.
    • Posted

See your GP and ask for a vitamin D blood test. He should at the same time do a B12 test too to make sure you are not anemic. I also have a hiatus hernia and have had terrible IBS. The IBS is under control once I stopped eating huge amounts of roughage. I have porridge with berries for breakfast. I also struggle with weight and am T1 diabetic. But I hammered the IBS into submission. Do see your Dr. I have improved since being on vitamin D pills.

I hope this helps

• Posted

Thanks for the advice :-) i will make an appointment to see my GP tomorrow x
  • Posted

Hi there. Start the day with a glass of warm lemon water. It stimulates digestion and clears toxins. Also replenish the body's good bacteria with yoghurts and probiotics. To stay regular  I take the right amount of daily water, exercise and fibre (eg. 1 banana, dates, wholemeal bread cereal). Ginger, cumin and coriander are good too. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hello Yes, i have started to drink warm water with half a lemon squeezed into it with a little grated ginger and i make sure i have this every day (sometimes it's not first thing in the morning but i have it when i get into the office at work).  I also drink one cup of green tea daily and sometimes milk thistle.  I make my own yoghurt and try to eat one daily along with a few nuts, porridge for breakfast and now making these part of my daily routine and am feeling the benefits already.  I also take a garlic capsule (even though i use a lot of onions and garlic in my cooking anyway).  I think i am trying to do whatever i can to help things and just hope these will help my overall health and well being.  You have to put in a lot of effort and work into making sure you keep healthy which i didn't think about doing when i was in my 20's and 30's.   How do others manage to keep healthy?
  • Posted

Has anyone had a colon hydrotherapy done and if so, what are your thoughts?
  • Posted

Sounds a bit unpleasant. Is is therapy or a gimmick? Ask your doctor, you might be able to get it on the NHS. You could ask your doctor whether colonic irrigation could be harmful. I advise you to take your doctor's advice. People will sell you anything!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.