Digestive issues and mood problems with long term Mono/GF

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've been posting here for a while but thought i'd ask this particular question in it's own thread.

I've been unwell with the virus for 10 months now..  I'm operating in the Post Viral Syndrome area. One of my first symptoms when catching EBV was IBS issues, which i'd never had before. I've had this continuously to varying degress for the whole time i've been sick. When i relapse it gets worse and when i start feeling better it improves too. My doctor reassures me this can be normal when healing from viruses because it throws your body out of wack and gives the bad bacteria more of a chance to take over.

I'm wondering who else has experienced this and should I expect it to fix itself when i eventually get over this illness? I've become very moody too. I don't feel like myself at all and i know there's a pretty strong connection between the gut and brain.. I worry that my broken digestive system is affecting my mental health. Hmm..

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Aquin,

Just checking in wanted to let you know I was still thinking about you and reassure you again that you will get there with everything. I know it's been a really tough time and I do believe that all these awful aches and pains will go away. It's understandable that your mental health is affected, anyone's would be having to go through such a traumatic and long-winded period of feeling so unwell. But the body will repair itself, without any doubt Aquin, and I still firmly believe that the worst is behind you and that things will get much better in the coming months.

In terms of IBS, maybe it would be worth trying taking a probiotic daily if you doh't already do that? I've found that great before for restoring good bacteria and making you feel a bit more healthy and strong. Certainly worth a try maybe.

And remember, you will get there!

Take care

Craig

• Posted

Thank you for your positive words as always Craig smile they are appreciated!

• Posted

After 7 months of mono(GF) I am also in recovery mode.  I am thankful for the good days I have--I can remember not having any good days at all.  As far as IBS symptoms, my doctor asked me about that every time I go in for a checkup.  My doctor said that he wants to make sure I do not have any side effects from a lover or spleen complication.  Make sure your doctor checks for those things. 

Other than that I, I agree with Craige's suggestions.  

I am also very moody and feel emotionally fragile.  Any social situation still upsets me.  I have to choose carefully about when and go out and for how long.  Crowds especially make me feel panicky and like I want to run and hide.  

Seems like there still many things I need to recover in this healing process.  I can finally concentrate enough to enjoy reading a book--that has just happened in the last 2 weeks. Before then I had too much brain fog to enjoy reading.

we will get well!!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted

Hi Gerbear,

I am very much the same in regards to emotional vulnerability. How do you get on with keeping your social skills intact? I haven't left the house in two weeks and the thought of being social makes me panicky. I've been through this before when i had a bad relapse in April but i get so impatient and just wish to be normal again. Time will heal hopefully.

Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

The only socializing that I have done is with family.  Luckily they all understand my limitations. Sunday my husband and I went to a family birthday party.  I layed on the couch the entire time except to eat.  I did not talk much, but did enjoy listening to every else's conversation. When we got home I went straight to bed and slept for 12 hours.  I only go out once a week--that is all I can handle.

Even tho going out is very stressful, it comforts me emotionally to be around my extended family.  

Wishing you well

• Posted

Hi Aquin and Gerbear,

Just wanted to let you know I'm still thinking about you, and definitely there will be a recovery there for you to enjoy and look forward to. It's such a hard virus to cope with physically and mentally, but when it gets defeated it's done for good and won't bother you again. You have that to look forward to. This definitely won't beat you and you will get through it, I just get a strong feeling about that for both of you today.

Hang in there

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.