Dihydrocodeine defence

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I'm in defence of dihydrocodeine being used as a painkiller. I suffer from arthritic pain which is agony most of the time and I have taken the above drug for many years with some success. Sometimes in combination with other painkillers; but lately I was tranfered to Morphine thinking this will stop all the pain; was I never so wrong. Morphine was troublesome to say the least with it's powerful addicting properties; after three months I requested I be put back on Dhy' and was never so grateful. These opioids may help some, but boy! did they scare me with the side effects they produce. In future I'll take the Dhy' as prescribed and appreciate the fact I'm never going to suffer such effects again.

Ron.

5 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

you have posted before you are taking lots of other tablets besides the dhc so why do you want to change if these have helped you keep to what you no helps you most i would once you start trying different ones this will have an interaction now i take ora-morph and it works well for me .
    • Posted

The decision to change my drugs was made by my Doctor so to minimise the amount of tablets I already take. Having the choice in which drugs we take under medical supervision never happens. Only a Doctor can make that decision. 
    • Posted

Hi, this is the first time in a while I have had time to view the site and I see we are both in the same boat regarding pain & medication. I do hope u continue to get relief and enjoy a better life. I will think of u in hoping all keeps well...........Ron.
  • Posted

hi stobban

i dont get your point what you mean ive said if you are taking something that helps you i agree with you i no what it feels to be in pain im going through agony myself the morphine now is not having the same effect on me like it did but my dr is trying to keep me on a drug that i no is useless but he wont let me up it how can a teaspoonful help when im in agoney it can't im also on paracetomol how on hearth can they be any good i was under the impression they were for headache's not bone and muscle pain this is what im taking the two for if a dr had to go through pain they would realise i have osteoprosis come failed hip operation's not through atheritis like yours but from a small fall and drop foot pain, back pain so i do realise what you must be going through with your pain.

i wish i could take the same as you but only once tryed them and i nearly ened up in a coma through the hospital giving me too many

i suffer with bad heart trouble 2 operation that was a failyer but ive to be careful what i can take im on warfin i wish i could take antinflamotry drugs but i can't so im left to suffer just like you now ive got foot drop in both feet and legs with constant pain its getting me down a vet wouldn't let an animal suffer as our dr's do we take the pain killers not to get a buzz out of taking them this is what hurts me to think we are in agoney and they don't need them.

we are shoved on drugs by our dr's that we no that it works for us we cannot get it through to them so long as we can take the stated amount i no i have had to take 3 parocetomol some times wich that frighten's me so its back to two when i get a bit of relif

but im not trying in any way to get at you all i mean't morphine did work for me without side effects but how can i get addicted to it with only 5 mils 3 times a day if i can manage twice i will but to be honest i hate having to take any pain killers in the first place the one thing im worried is what the paracetomol damage can do i have been shoved onto these and took of what i used to take wich was co-drydomol.

as ive got a rare disease in my back that theres no cure for but it only hit the spot its ment for now im suffering all this hip pain and the rest he wont let me take them no more because of me having to take the morphine wich is wrong i would give anything to have them back again i do have some but they out of date but one of these days i will try and take them with the morphine just to see if they interact wether they out of date or not they are only out of date by 6 months.

i also can't take Tramadol i came out in a rash felt dizzy that was only by taking 2 one day im so sensetive to pain killers i can't take them only after taking 4 in a day was again dizzy sick and made me really bad for two days so i don't begrudge any one else of wanting to take them if they agree with them and no side effects.

i was in agoney and still am now the day i replyed just tyried to tell you the morphine didn't effect me like it did you with no badness but i think you must have took it the wrong way as its not now having the same effect on me please accept my applogie if this as upset you i could come of the morphine without any side effects im sure i don't take enough to get addicted to it.

ive tryed asking him to put me on something stronger but he won't  ive been bed bound now since May i cannot get to the bottom of why my surgon as caused me all this trouble by not doing this last operation nowning he as caused me muscle damage then the foot drop in both legs and feet i cannot even bend my knee its locked up and hes not bothered causing me to loose 3 stone in 5 months and muscle weaknes so think what im having to fight and getting no were till i now have to be pushed to see a nurologist ive just been pushed from one to other cause he wont admit hes caused me all these problems

well i do hope you now have got your DHC sorted out and get some relif i wish i could don't take offence i didn't mean to say anything wrong but merly trying to tell you it didnt have the same effect as it did with you its gone the opposte way now for me its not working i don't have a choice hes made is mind up i take what is no good to me but they just don't listen its the cut backs i blame. .

keep me posted

christine    

• Posted

Hi Christine its short but i did it last month change your doctor you just walk in sign up and get a better care for your pain best thing i have done after seven years of Transverse Mylitis good luck .
  • Posted

Hi ron thanks for your mail i have been on dhy for seven years everything else sends me out there but like you i was glad to be put back on Dhy i do worry about the long time usage best wishes living with pain is not easy egards Samandbaxter

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.