Dilated ascending aorta

Posted , 7 users are following.

I just came across this site as I was trying to find information on my Dilated ascending aorta. It was 4.9 in march which was when it was diagnosed . I have to have a second scan next year. I'm just so scared at how much it might grow in a year

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello susan 4.9 is very close to 5 i will like to know if you have any symptoms and if you have a bicuspid valve or any other heart problems so far the best you can do is keep your blood pressure under control with medication and keep walking and exercising but dont do any weight over 30 pounds sometimes these aneurysms never grow or take years to grow i believe if you have a good cardiologist they should do an mri every 6 months good luck
  • Posted

Obviously dilations can get bigger, but the fact that your consultant is happy to wait until next year before the next scan suggests he/she doesn't have immediate concerns. That doesn't stop you worrying of course, you just have to put your trust in the professionals. Relax ;-)

• Posted

Welcome, Susan. Remember that every case is different, and the growth rate may vary quite a bit. I know it's hard not to worry, but it may not grow at all.

I did hear encouraging story the other day to share with all of you. My uncle had a 6.5 cm 20 years ago, had surgery and he still doing just fine.

• Posted

Mine was 4.5 in march and i go every 6 months .but it also gos off other factors. Im classed as a small frame , no lifting no strenous exercise no running no stress and to keep calm easier said than done
  • Posted

Thankyou so much for your replies. It's just so scarey and hard to live with. I'm not allowed to lift or do anything strenuous either and am trying hard to avoid stress which is almost impossible 

• Posted

I have several pressure in my brain and headedness since i find out about mine aorta was 4.1 i did mri and everything comeback normal maybe is all about stress what im doing now is just forget about it and enjoy what i like to do,who knows what can happens tomorrow
  • Posted

You just won't know until you have your next scan. We wooried too the first 6 months. It hadn't changed. We decided to breath easier and let life take it's course. It's not on our minds as much and we are enjoying life more now.He had an echocardiogram in December and we haven't heard results yet. We assume it must've been alright or we would've heard. His aortic anueyrism is at 4.5. He is 65. He has a bicuspid valve.There is no way to know if it will even grow at all especially if you are taking the BP medicines to keep it contained. Try not to think about it and enjoy life more. Peace for you in 2017.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.