Diphenhydramine - Nytol One-A-Night 50mg tablets. Scary ! Need some help or advise!

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi all,

I have been using Nytol one a night for about 2 years with small breaks during this time due to losing my best friend and had always had so much trouble at a young age around 15-16 when I lost both my parents within a year of each other.

I went to the doctors at the start about my sleep but I didn't want anything my body would or could get addicted to and have to withdrawl. He gave me a weeks worth of sleeping tablets and of I went. Didn't go back to see him for a year as I found :

Nytol my savour for helping me sleep. They were brillant for me, I am not a drug user nor will I ever be as I just don't have any interest in them but I have tried some drugs but only once or twice usally when I am totally drunk.

Anyway back to the Nytol, brillant took 1 a night for months worked brillant. Eventually as all things, it was coming to an end, 1 tablet wasn't working. Started to take 2. I was tottally oblivious to any danger if I was to take too much eventually it will end badly. I just thought "its sold over the counter, they is obviously nothing dangerious or anything to worry about".

Also when speaking to friends or my doctor he just said continue to take nytol whilst im on anti depressaints to help me sleep. This was 2 months ago he persribed me citalopram 20mg a day. I had to come of it because the side effects were just awful.

Currently now on Propanolol for aniexty more social than anything never really had panic attacks. He said same again, just continue nytol and try and come of them slowly over time. So I had told my doctor a year and a half later that I am still on nytol but I currently take 4-6 a night, I take 4 before bed and If that doesn't work I take 1/2 throughout an hour or 2 until I fall asleep.

So with taking 40mg 1-3 times a day of propanolol I felt calmer and didn't mind going to shops etc were as before I would always avoid and beg my girlfriend to go lol. So it was working brillant but I was still not happy due to depression I felt will be asking doctor for advice when I see him in 2 weeks.

So back to nytol my sleeping pattern was so bloody bad recently like waking up at 5pm and sleeping at 8am. Which made me more depressed so I once against incrased the Nytol dose to get to sleep sooner. I have never ever experienced anything like this in my life alone side the propanolol because I had been taking 6-8 tablets per night a few times and nothing happened. With the propanolol the last few nights I had been getting visual distorations like clear squiggles that looked like it was bending the air and distorting everything behind it (if that makes any sense). Had that for a few nights didn't think anything was wrong I just thought it was because I hadn't slept in so long. I could also see like particlies and very small things bumping and jumping making the floor look like it was vibrating. Feel asleep eventually and repeated this for a week or so. 

Until Last night I genuinely thought I was about to die I was seconds away from passing out and I scared the sh*t out of my poor girlfriend. I was getting the usal distorations in my vision and I had ended up taking 11 nytol pills last night without even realising, as I was supposed to wake up early today and go out with friends and go to the xmas market as we do it around this time every year. So I was worrying about the time and I just wanted to get to sleep ASAP so I could be fresh for waking up early and head out!

I was beginning to see things move that just weren't moving and I knew something was up, I could see my blanket they shapes when I went into like a day dream state everything was moving and looked as if flys or something were stuck in the bedsheets/blanket buzzing inside trying to get out. (the best way I can desribe it) I also was seeing splashes of water on my walls that just kept moving and seeing things in the corner of my eyes but when I looked it was gone.

Then suddenly bam, my heart just went bloody nuts I instantly felt as if I was about to pass out I quickly lifted my head and made sure I landed on my girlfriend beside me incase I passed out and I just shouted "there's something wrong with me" and burst into tears.

Luckily I didn't pass out but my heart was still sore and buzzing. I don't have panic attacks often its like once or twice a year and with taking propanolol I was always calm. No panic attack felt like this before and I rang the out of hours doctor and told me it was prob a panic attack speak to ur own doctor when you can.

After my girlfriend just holding me stroaking my head (which wasn't helping it was making me feel so sick) but I didn't want to upset her even more. I finally moved and said I need to stop this I know theres something wrong with me I need to stop taking med's I didn't have any problems before I started the meds. I looked over at the nytol packet I had bought the night before and out of a packet of 20 there was 9 left.I instantly thought to myself, "what the hell?! I don't even remember taking that many" as soon as I saw that I bolted to the toilet and dry heaved for a few minutes so worried I was going to die my heart still wasn't feeling right and I was scared I was overdosing so I thought screw this I am not waiting for something to happen and fired my fingers to the back of my throat to throw everything up as I did no want to go near a hospital incase they thought It was a sucide attempt which they would with recent anti depressiants and propanolol. I will NEVER touch nytol again. I forgot to mention (this is strange and hard to explain) I was getting after all the panic and the store chest and after throwing up 10mins later I was getting cold sensations of blood throw in my arms and legs. The best way I can desribe it, it was like someone was injecting cold blood into my arms and legs and it was like a shooting sensation that would start at the top of my arms and legs and work its way down and start at the top and work its way down again. There was no pain just a strange feeling??

I am so sorry for this massive long story and I've tried to shorten it as much as I can. I am to go to the doctors in 2 weeks thats my next appointment. Am I in any danger for long term use and abuse that I didn't even realise was bad for me. Will I experience any trouble if I just stop them the nytol that is. The doctor I spoke to today was telling me to continue the propanolol as instructed do not stop them.

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Just reading this back to myself, to realise how lucky I am, even waking up this morning I was just so happy it was over and how lucky I am to be alive. Strange and hard to put into words. Just realising I need to start treating my body with more respect.
    • Posted

I had a very similar experience on the 50mg one per night, Nytol. I was going cold turkey from taking Solpadol painkillers which I took a satchel of 8-10 per day for an old bk injury which was an absolute nightmare in itself as I kept getting restless arms and legs and pains right to my bone. It was hell. I done pretty much the same as you, I tried calming myself down but nothing helped and the only thing I could think of was to make myself sick. Nasty experience. I only took 3 over the space of 2 hours. Never again. Learned my lesson.
  • Posted

We all look for ways to cope with stressful Life experiences and your No different.

Life Has handed you a cruel Hand and you have done your best to deal with It alone.

Call the Nhs helpline they can advise you on medication.

Let us know how your getting on

Jo

• Posted

I registered just to respond to this thread. I really hope you have learned from your mistake since then. Your mistake was not taking sleeping pills. You have to understand that just because it is OTC does not mean that it is not a powerful drug! Avid fans of LSD won't even touch that stuff. Diphenhydramine is a hallucinogenic, deliriant, and sometimes a stimulant. LSD is merely a hallucinogenic. People who have tried getting high off diphenhydramine have reported horrifying hallucinations and a sense of impending doom.

You NEED to be more responsible next time. There are so many over the counter medications that can seriously impair your cognition even worse than anything you could get on the street. Diphenhydramine is one of the strongest hallucinogenic and deliriants out there. 11 tablets of 50mg Nytol tablets total to 600mg!

People start with 350mg to get high. 600 is just ridiculous and no wonder you were having anxiety attacks and hallucinating severely. 11 is only one number that you gave me, and with that 8 pills left comment I cannot discern how many pills you had taken but I am assuming that you took way more than 11. You don't do drugs? OTC medications Are drugs! This was only one year ago so you could have easily looked up information on diphenhydramine so I am really in disbelief of not only your irresponsibility but also that of your girlfriend AND dear God your doctor.

You'd think a doctor who went through med school would have known better. "I didn't even remember taking that much!" clearly indicates an addictive personality so I would recommend you stay away from all drugs that help calm you down, OTC or not. OTC sleeping pills are far, far, far worse to overdose on because they are ALL hallucinogenic. Dear God, this is just a horrifying post.

• Posted

Hi, I can relate to everything ur saying... I got pregnant February 2014 and when I found out 5 days later my daddy dropped dead of heart attack! My world spiralled out of control, didn't help that I was in and out of hospital with hyperemisis gravidium (severe morning sickness) well had my little boy November that year and i got post natal depression and turned to nytol, they were so easy to get my hands on, started with 3 and worked my way up to a full box of 20 50mg tablets for almost a year. Then just recently I took my usual dose and something wasn't right so I jumped into bed to my boyfriend so I could feel safe but I was taking a full blown panic attack, which I never had before so naturally thought it was a heart attack, I was terrified! What was worse was I knew u could just drop dead because it happend to my very healthy daddy. I had that cold feeling to but on in my chest area and my the top of my back, so scary! I stopped them after that night which was about a month ago and my life has been ruined completely, I have about 3 maybe 4 panic attacks a day, I to am on proprananol the docter gave me sertraline but the side effects were terrible and I don't feel depressed. I cant go anywhere at all and I WAS the kind of girl to b out all the time with my partner and son but I'm terrified of life and death... They destroyed my happiness and that will always b my biggest regret. I just hope and pray that they subside at some point but i doubt that will happen! I wish u all the luck in the world to get better and come bk to some sort of normality! Ur not alone smile
  • Posted

PLEASE anyone reading this, do not abuse nytol. My friend's brother took a few of them and some propanalol and DIED in November last year. He was not suicidal and had a lot to live for.
  • Posted

PLEASE anyone reading this, do not abuse nytol. My friend's brother took a few of them and some propanalol and DIED in November last year. He was not suicidal and had a lot to live for. His heart gave out and he died in his sleep.
  • Posted

I also signed up to comment in this thread. I take between 2&6 tablets a day and have the same strange sensations you have described. How difficult is it to get off this?

• Posted

Hey ive never taken more than 2 even tho wen desperate ive wanted to. There is lots of evidence out there of o.d. etc id try to get into see yr dr asap dont take the amounts of nytol uve been taking but u may suffer side effects if u stop them altogether. Gud luck. Hope u can get something else sorted. Im tryin sleepy teabags lol. Willing to give anything a go. Lol. Let us know how u get on xx ;0)
  • Posted

I can understand the taking more of things to help as i suffer from insomnia worse when depressed & anxious as i am now. I definately wouldnt reduce propranalol without medical advice i take 80 mg × 2 per day. As for the nytol the dosage yr taking as yr aware is too high. But i would see the dr or pharmacist be open and honest about amt and length of tym u have been taking extra nytol. As im pretty sure ull need to be weaned off that slowly too. My heart goes out to u. I just want us all to feel better. Kp us posted be careful with nytol amounts, m ;0)

• Posted

Just realised this is an old post but hows things now? Xx
  • Edited

I know this is old but I want to clarify things for anyone reading this and worried. Nytol is not dangerous compared to other sleeping drugs. It is not addictive, however, like anything you can become addicted to the feeling it can give some people. If you regularly overdose, by overdose I mean taking more than the stated dose, for an extended period, you are likely to damage your liver. Taking an extra pill, very occasionally, will not harm you. The reason the OP experienced heart issues is likely because Propanalol is in fact a beta blocker. Beta blockers lower your heart rate and this combined with any sleeping drug, will undoubtedly enhance the effects, therefore, if you are taking a beta blocker, DO NOT overdose on any sleeping drug, this is dangerous and if done regularly, could permanently affect your heart. All this being said, Nytol is safe in the stated dose and will not normally produce the side affects mentioned in the OP, even at 2 or 3 times the recommended dose. Remember everyone is different and if you experience anything similar, please consult your GP.
  • Posted

Hello,

I only signed up to post this and what happened to me.

I had a cold so I took Nythol Night to help me sleep and ease my pain at night.

The next morning I woke up I was drowsy and dizzy, my head felt like exploding and I couldn't even walk. I wanted to scream but I couldn't so I crawled down the stairs and called the neighbours they took me to the hospital. Doctor said the medicine put me in a state of sleep and lowered my blood pressure so much that I had to be fed drip-serum until I was normal. 

Anyone reading this please don't take this drug, don't take any hard drug just drink lots lots and lots of liquid and keep a positive state of mind while resting for days.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Ohh goodness thats awful. Seems u had a terrible effect from it. Ive had it and was ok but wow thats scary xx hope u r well now xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.