Disabled With Post Shingles Neuropathy- Filing with Social Securiy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have severe post neuropathy on my right side starting at the neck down my shoulder into my hand and fingertips. This causes limitations in all areas as I am right-handed. I am in the process of applying for Social Security disability and wanted to get input from others that may have done the same. It is hard to prove something that others can't see and it is frustrating. can anyone advise how they have moved forward with this disability process?

3 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Juli,

I take it that you live in the UK?  I have had the after affects from the shingles for just over 6 months  if you read my section on this web site you will see how I feel, and how like you  are finding it hard to continue working im 62 this year and yes I cant retire for another 3 years. and stupidly I dont have any private pension. so yep im "STUFFED"  my place of work wont/cant help me because I do not have the private pension so I have to go to work every day and every so often sit and cry in the loo...  If any one can help Juli 26  I may be would be able to apply too.  My pain Juli26 is under my right breast and around and up the back  including the shoulder on top of this I have a damaged shoulder now and cronic arthritas which so far has made me have two full replacements knee's, 

I wish you well  Jocelyne

• Posted

I live in Canada and was eligible for a disability pension from both my employer and social security.  You will need good documentation from your doctor.  I told him that I know what it costs to spend time and prepare a good medical evaluation and I was prepared to pay for that.  At the end it wasn't very expensive anyways.  You also need to be really clear about the pain - it provides credibility.  Express your pain qualitatively and quantiatively.  For example a deep burning sensation that is so distracting I cannot think of anything else - the pain has an intensity from 2 to 8 and sometimes higher.  It tends to be at a 4 to 6 level for 6 hours of the day and at an 8 and  sometimes high for 4 hours of the day.  This is average and some days are a total write off.  I cannot concentrate nor physically move because of the pain.  Your doctor should be able to confirm that this is what he/she heard and they have no reason to not beleive you.  THe literature now is really clear about PHN pain - some say "a pain so severe like cancer, but wtihout the relief of death".  That one has stuck with me.  Suicides in the elderly from chronic pain from PHN have also now been recognized as significant relative to suicide for other reasons.  You need to make the best case pssible for yourself - dont hold back in terms of how it is impacting your life.  Best of luck

jim

• Posted

lastly they will need to see all the treatment methods you have tried.  it is understood for neuropathic pain many people only get minimal benefit ie pain reduction from current therapies - including narcotics, other types of drugs, topicals, neurostimulators, and other medical interventions such as acupuncture etc  It is unbelievable how all of our modern medical innovations cant relieve this type of pain.  
  • Posted

Hi, I am not sure but are you seeing a neurologist. Mke sure all your medical records document your condition and have the doctor amke the case for you. If he/she documents how this nerve pain effects your ability to function and impairs your daily tasks this should help. 

I waited a few years and thenI applied for ss. I got it immediately but I had a good team of doctors documenting how my condition effected my ability to do tasks which I used to be able to do. 

I hope this helps!!

Let me know if you want more details

Anna

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response. I am hoping my primary doctor will refer me to the neurologist. I am following up next week. It been hard to "prove" my condition as it is not something tangible and no way to show in a test. I am currently on disability through my past employer. They are reviewing my claim now and my doctor put a return to work date of March but told me we would see how things were then. I was frustrated that he made it look like I possibly could be since I have had this pain since March of last year.
    • Posted

That is how it is for the first year or so - for some the pain slowly dissipates but after a year it is not so certain.  Make sure you are clear about your pain.  We all dont want to be seen as whiners or weak - however the pain is real and devasting and it is invisible.  Only you can advocate for yourself.  Also dont say like I have done "i am ok"  " I am suriviving" when u are not.  Insurance companies will use every word against you.  One doctor said say" I am not ok and in a lot of pain - I pray to God that one day the pain will be reduced or gone so that I can work again. That is my only hope and wish right now".   It is understood one isn't 100 percent incapacitated and those forms that say how far can you walk or much can you lift - dont apply.  They are not set up for chronic pain like this.  Unable to concentrate or focus, constantly distracted by severe pain is what it is about.  Good luck.  It is about doing life's activities when you can which also is a huge factor in being able to do a regular job that requires the ability to work on an ongoing basis. good luck
  • Posted

Hi Juli26  how did you get on with trying to claim via socal security??  I keep looking for your up date
  • Posted

I recommend access psychiatrist to assess traumatic stress to the epithelial cells affected. Once you have psych assistance in related disorders, pain, opioid analgesics, electrotherapy, or what works for you (antidepressants ECT)

the social mechanisms will be more accepting of looking normal and living viral traumas, it was discovered herpes can be found in neurones. Assessment of mental effect can involve also psychologist trauma testing 660 question test...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.