Disappointment isn't the word!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have dieted for years on and off now and got down to 8 1/2 stone (I'm 5ft) that was around 6 years ago and I'm still hoping it can happen again. I got married in September and was at 9 1/2 stone then honeymoon happened and me being me gained 2 stone in 2 weeks then Christmas happened and every other excuse I can think of! Around 3 months ago I was 13 stone!!! I lost 1 stone on my own then thought enough was enough so visited my GP and I am now on orlistat and in my 5th week. Week one went well and I lost 5lbs.,.. Then I've stayed the same since. Last week was the first time I experienced the 'oil' but I haven't had it since and actually the more I have found I can get away with eating bad things then I'm doing it more and more! Something has to change I've been on a diet for what seems like my whole life and I don't want to be on it for the rest of my life! Any tips would be apprichiated for meals or just to get back into it in general!!!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Put a picture up on your cupboard where the treat food is then when you go for a treat y you'll be reminded of what you want to be like again
    • Posted

Thanks Jo I might give that a go! I've only told my husband and mum that I'm taking the orlistat as I don't want people to think it's just the tablet that's making me lose weight and I'm not trying myself/... Only problem with that is it's hard to say no to going out for a curry etc
  • Posted

Also need help on breakfast! I know it's the more important meal of the day and everything but I just don't want it! For the last 5 weeks I have been forcing crumpets down (no butter of course) and feel like I'm eating for the sake of it just to take a tablet!! Any thoughts!!
    • Posted

I have bran flakes keeps me full until lunch time. If I have toast it just bloats me
  • Posted

Hey, why not try some kind of protein shake or smoothie. Then you might not feel like your eating?
    • Posted

Hi have you tried anything like slimfast to replace 2 meals a day? I'm not sure if I should give it a go, I've tried it before but not with the orlistat
  • Posted

I've tired slim fast in the passed but also not with these tablets. I personally don't think its a good idea to mix the too in that way. As by doing slim fast you are reducing your calorie intake as it is. But as you do not like breakfast it make be a good idea to substitute that meal with a shake to make it easier for you. The tables will help you learn to form good eating habits as you will be more mindful of what you put in your mouth. Breakfast is theist operant meal of the day as your body has been staved for an extended amount of time. You need to kick start your motabalisum and wake everything up. You need to get in a healthy balanced meal so that you don't got to later in the day and start craving high suger foods as your body will be screaming for energy. I say try a a high protein shake as this will help your body to burn fat better.
  • Posted

Hi there, I can completely understand what you are saying and I sympathise. I haven't always been on a diet and only started gaining weight in my mid 30's but since then (12 years ago) it's been downward spiral.

Anyhow, you are now on the tablets and so it is now up to you to do the hard work. I say this not to be blunt, but it is the truth. I went on these tablets expecting miracles but that simply is not the case. I have had to be soooo strict and limit myself to 1200 calories per day and absolutely stick to the 5g of fat rule - no exceptions. I struggled the first 5 weeks in losing weight and I could not understand it as I "thought" I was being really good, but it turns out I was eating too much fat by far - can't explain why I wasn't having severe toilet moments, but I wasn't, but I wasn't losing weight.

After a few weeks of looking at everything I was doing, writing it all down, downloading "MyFitnessApp" and using that, I realised exactly where I had been going wrong and I fixed it, and since then I have lost about 1lb per week - sometimes 1.5lb if I am lucky. And I also believe that is primarily down to exercising as I realised I had to change my sedentary lifestyle if I wanted to succeed in losing the 5 stone (I am 5' 5") and get healthy and keep the weight off.

I don't wish to be all doom and gloom but I am trying to be realistic and let you know that despite these tablets, it is still a diet, you still have to be so strict and at times I have pulled my hair out, cried and cursed, and just been plain depressed about it.

This would be my advice to you. Start again and as from right this moment write down everything that passes your lips - even water. You have to look very closely at exactly how many calories you are consuming, and within that allowance, watch the fat religiously. Your aim should be no more than 15g of fat per meal, 3 meals per day. Within that 15g of fat per meal, make sure that any one thing is not over 5g of fat per 100g - if it is then you cannot have it (for example, if you have a tin of soup for lunch and that tin of soup is 2g of fat per 100g, the whole tin is 400g and you eat the whole thing, then the total fat you eat for that meal is 2 x 4 = 8g. I have soup often and it's usually about this amount of fat so I often have a wholemeal pitta bread with ham and salad in it as well). It is very strict and very hard BUT if you record everything you are doing and eating, it does become habit and after a few weeks it becomes easier. I am in my 4th month now and have lost 26.5lbs but I still record every single thing I eat and drink and how much exercise I get.

That would be the other thing I would look at (not sure if you do exercise or not). I can hear you groan from here ha ha. I hadn't exercised for years and I hated it with a passion, but my husband nagged ang nagged until I caved in a got a bike (he started cycling 3.5 years ago and cycles like a maniac - averages 180 miles per week and is so fit and healthy now). So got my bike 9 months ago but really only started using it as I started these tablets. I has been hell, I'll be honest. I found it so hard and I know not how I dragged myself out some days. I have fallen off several times and really hurt myself, sprained an ankle, an elbow, bruises galore, and at times sworn so badly at my husband I have to give him credit for not pushing me into the river. But now I absolutely love it. I go out at least 3 times per week and I am so much healthier, and as for my head - I can't tell you the different in my head - that is the biggest change. If I don't get out on my bike for a few days I get really wound up and anxious. I am pretty certain the exercise has helped immeasurably and I am certain I would have caved in and given up if it wasn't for the cycling. I can't stress enough now much the exercise helps, it really does. And trust me, I am not just saying this, I was the most sedentary person you would ever have encountered prior to this diet, and my husband said to me Saturday that he could not believe the change in me - we went on a 30 mile cycle (but ended up doing 35 miles in the end) and we knew it was likely to rain so he said Fri eve shall we bother going, and I said "abso-bloody-lutely, we'll take a change of clothing, another pair of trainers etc so if we get soaked at least we will have some dry clothes to put on to get on the train home - we cycled to London and got the train home).

Before I go, I just read some of the other posts. I find breakfast the most difficult meal as I don't really like eating breakfast can't stomach fruit or yogurt for breakfast. I discovered Alpro chocolate desserts (where all the jellies and rice puddings are in the supermarket). They are really scrumptious and very low fat. I think a pot has about 120 calories if memory serves me correctly, and about 2g of fat. So I tend to have one of these with a banana or strawberries chopped up in it. Try those, they do milk chocolate variety, dark chocolate or vanilla. I love them and always make sure I have them in my fridge. On an evening if I fancy something sweet I have one with 2 marshmellows and 4 jelly babies - marshmellows and jelly babies are fat free so they are the only sweets I allow myself.

I hope I have given you some ideas and wish you luck moving forward.

Take care.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I am on week 3 and I have not lost any weight. I have been super stricked and any one meal is under 10g fat.when I go shopping I make sure the majority of food I buy falls into the 5 per 100 catagory. I eat of a small plate and I work out 4 times a week. I also walk a lot and drink 3 to 4 litres of water a day. I don't understand why the weight isn't coming off. I'm a pro at dieting so it hasn't really been that hard as I try to eat low fat food in general even before the tablets. It's very frustrating and I'm I'm really considering weight loss surgery.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your advice I really need to get on with the exercise, I have a cross trainer but have neglected it recently. After reading your reply i have just jogged around the block! It was only half a mile but a big improvement from what I have been doing. I've had 2 operations on my ankle so have to avoid high impact exercise.... Although I sometimes use that as an excuse.

I think I may have been going wrong with the food.... Everything I've been having has had less that 5g per 100g and 15g per portion... But I haven't been looking at calories or anything! I love fruit and veg but don't like salads and don't drink milk so cereal is out of the equation for breakfast and salad for lunch! I've been having crumpets for breakfast without any butter and occasionally have a sandwich at lunch, most days I make soup but whenI have dieted before I have always cut bread and bakery products out maybe I need to do the same again??

Well done on your bike riding im impressed! It's definitely motivated me to try and do a bit more. I have my 4 weekly doctors appointment in 2 weeks and I'm embarrassed to go back with (as it is at the moment) gaining 1-2 pounds!

• Posted

I'm finding this frustrating too but we have to stick with it. I'm on week 5 and I've always lost eight pretty easily when I've tried before with slimming world/ weight watchers etc I'm starting to understand that these things take time and there isn't a quick fix. I've considered weight loss surgery so many times but have always been talked out of it by friends and family. I'm sure that's the right approach for some people but I think if we stick with the diet and give it a good go it's bound to work! Other people do it and so can we! I know personally if I had the surgery I would end up putting all the weight back on through eating!! I need to break the habit as I absolutely love food weather it's healthy or unhealthy I just eat too much full stop!
  • Posted

Morning Muffintop and Kpbridgeman, I completely understand where you are both at and how you are both feeling. Trust me, despite my words of encouragement yesterday I too find this dieting milarky unbelievably hard and frustrating - it just takes soooooo long to get off. If I saw results of 3 or 4lbs coming off every week then it would all be worth it, but I am lucky if I lose 1lb a week. I have had weeks where I've been super strict and not lost a sausage, and other weeks where I have only lost 1/2 lb. And then I went to Portugal for 5 days early June with hubby and gained over half a stone - to say I was in the doldrums and seriously contemplating giving up at that point would be the understatement of the year. It took me 7 weeks to lose that weight and 5 days to gain it! Aaaarrrggghhhhhh. So anyway, I have lost all enthusiasm and am really struggling to stay on the straight and narrow again, and am not even really bothering to take the tablets at the moment because if I am going to gain that much weight that quickly after coming off the tablets I really don't see the point!

So you see, I can understand and I do sympathise with you both. It is hell but you know what I keep telling myself - it's my own damn fault for getting fat in the first place!

So today is a new day - start again! Had a slice of wholemeal toast with low sugar marmelade on and a muller light yogurt for breakfast - let's hope I stay on it this time otherwise I'll be gaining all the weight I have lost so far. And a parting note, these passed couple of weeks where I've been half heartedly dieting have made me so stressed and miserable - I was far far happier doing the strict diet than this in between stuff. So, enough moaning that I gained some weight - day 1, here we go again because it sure feels better to be in control and doing something positive than maudlin' around the house bemoaning the fact that I love food and gain weight easily!

Good luck and stay positive - it's all in the mind, conquer that and you are half way there. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.