Disc/meds/constipation.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Having been 7 days now since my microdisectomy I can't categorically state that the disc was causing bowel problems for me in the form of constipation. I say this because I haven't begun weening down from morphine yet as the surgery pain is healing.

not one doctor ever considered this as the big side effect of morphine is constipation!

just keep an eye out for yourselves people! I was given Laxido powders to take but didn't really do much! I used to go once every 3-5 days, now it's daily!!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Supposed to say "since my microdisectomy I can categorically"
  • Posted

Are you saying that Laxido made you go to the toilet more regularly?   I have that problem with my 3 prolapse and have only lately discovered that if I have constipation it affects the pain.

Thats probably why the surgeon said that any operation would be dangerous. I just take the ordinary Senacot but it doesn't always rectify the pain. I have been OK during the night today and got up and in terrible pain in my groin.  But gradually going as I've taken my piainkillers.

Yep I probably only go to the toilet beween 3-5 days, it depends on what I eat and whether I do some walking. We walk almost every day, but as I write this I can say my pain is gradually going.  At this point I start to busy myself for the day. (lol retired!!! I never had enough time tod o anything).   I haven;t had my appointment at the pain clinix yet but I know they will give me all the crap they usually give you and going to ask for a cortisone injection in my thigh - I know that works.

Did you ever have Lyrica.  Memory loss is terrible. I couldn't even remember "Senecot" I had to go and have a look and its not age.  

Give it enough time James for the op to work, I had decompression of 2 discs (when I had 2 discs prolapsed) and it didn't work but I had to pay as my doctor got fed up with me, Liverpool wasn't satisfactory, and now \I have 3 proplapsed.

I try to have a good breakfast in a morning James and then a good walk.  My daughter has found that too.... so maybe when you get going try it.

Look forward to hearing you are feeling a bit better soon  

• Posted

James it took over a week before I got this issue sorted after my microdiscectomy.  This was at the point I was able to stop the codeine which is known to block you up.  Whatever the hospital gave me did not work but Dulcolax did which you can buy over the counter. 
    • Posted

Thing is my Meds haven't changed, my bowels have! Back to normal now the disc is sorted!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.