Discomfort all the time. Replens? Topical hormone treatment?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I saw the GP yesterday who diagnosed Atrophic Vaginitis.  I'm 69.  I've been using Sylk, which was prescribed by the nurse practitioner, without an examination, but it hasn't been particularly successful for me.  As I didn't really want to use hormone treatment, unless I had to, the GP has now prescribed Replens for me to try and I've to go back to her in six weeks.  If this doesn't work, then we'll be talking about topical hormone treatment.  The difficulty is that I am in discomfort al the time - soreness, itching etc., so this isn't purely a sexually related problem.

Have others used Replens?  How did you get on with it?  Did it help?  What about topical hormone treatment?  How easy is it to use and how successful is it?

I'd be interested in hearing the experiences of others who have this problem, particularly if it's an on-going situation and not purely sex related. 

Thanks.

1 like, 57 replies

57 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi rosie

sylk and replens is not a prescription so can be bought easily ...

i have used Replens but found it not really ideal in my case.

expect some clumpy white discharge with it, its quite normal, i didnt like this at all, so changed to Premeno Duo vaginal Ovules ( non hormonal) and also Hormone Ovestin Vaginal Ovules.. ( kinder estriol) 

i use the two and been so much better, Gyno said the Ovestin would make things alot better, plump and hydrate, and protect the urthetra etc as that drys and shrinks too, causing discomfort as well as the vaginal dryness.

i also have ovestin cream and use a tiny bit on outer vag entrance to keep skin from thinning

jay x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  I'm going to give Replens a go, but am aware that I may need the hormone cream.  It's good to know that the Ovestin worked so well for you.  I'll certainly bear that in mind and ask the doctor about it, if and when.
  • Posted

I found replens ok for a while, then, it just irritated me. If you have AV sometimes what works stops working aNd then you have to try something else. I have unopened replens if you live in the DN5 postcode or near I would give it to you.
    • Posted

Replens also gave me a clumpy white discharge
    • Posted

That's very kind of you, Sus28.  I've just started the Replens the doctor gave me, so I'll see how I go.  I'm due to go back to see her in a few weeks anyway.  
  • Posted

I am 64 - 65 in January.  I tried Sylk and Replens a long time ago.  They did not work for me at all.  Frankly I gave up.  Sex/intercourse is and has been impossible.  Thank God I have a wonderful man in my life that understands and is willing to forgo that ... as one gal told me, there are more ways to make love than just intercourse.  I am now using Vagifem and have not had a lot of luck.  But with the advice I've seen here, I've added using Vitamin E capsules and coconut oil externally.  I am hoping it helps...this is going to take time to heal internally and I am trying to accept that.  The thing that seems to drive me the most crazy is the constant urinary discomfort I have.  I have been tested for UTI's more times in the last 6 months than I have in my entire life.  And there is NO INFECTION.  This is all due to the VA issue.  I guess my best thoughts are to keep trying ... whatever you think might work.  I eat good organic foods, I honor my body and try to take care of it.  I don't have any other illness ... VA is my cross to bear.  Thank goodness for this site....there is more practical information here than anywhere else I have found.  Keep trying to find solutions and post questions and successes.  Don't give up.
    • Posted

Hi Pat, I am 57 and have been using Vagifem twice a week since Xmas. Saw Doc a week or so ago and even when I said they'd not done much for me, she said to carry on with them for another 3 months. I have also been using ViT E Oil which seems to help. But like you said, I too have urinary discomfort. In fact last summer when this problem started, I had about 8 water tests in about 2 months. Only had an infection about once. So as it stands now, I have days where I feel like I want to wee all the time, even though I have just been. I feel I am sore in my bladder, like there is too much acid in my water, and I have the vaginal soreness too with the VA. I have just started using Cranberry tablets to try and bring the acid level down, if it is up. I am also trying to drink more water to flush things out and I noticed the other week when I used Cystocalm last weekend and it seemed to calm things right down for a few days, either that or it was coincidence. Trouble is you can only use that for a couple of days. But I have got some in case of an extra bad flare up. Yes VA has been my cross to bear this last year too. I wonder will it ever go away completely.
    • Posted

Thank you, Pat.  I've had problems for about a year now, ever since I've been taking Nortriptyline for Fibromyalgia.  One side effect can be a dry mouth, but, of course, it also affects other tissues, like the vagina.

Sorry to hear that you're having so many problems with urinary discomfort.  Thankfully, I haven't had this.  However, I have had many UTIs in the past, so can sympathise.  I hope that things improve for you.

• Posted

Hi Girls,

I have been struggling with VA for approx. 3 years, tried all lotion, potion, my bathroom is like a chemist shop. However about 2 months ago a Skin/Gynie Consultant put me on Ovestin (Estriol) 1mg cream inserted with applicator twice a week and  Epaderm whenever I felt dry. This has made a huge difference. I was on the Vagifem but I had an adverse reaction to it, it made me more red and sore, the Ovestin cream is milder, and seems to agree with me. Also all the 'thrush' symptoms that I was having have not returned since starting the Ovestin ( touch wood ).

• Posted

Sorry.....hit the wrong button

Hope this information is off help.  All the best, Lorna.

• Posted

hi Lorna 

ovestin Estriol is fab, i use the ovestin vaginal Ovules ( really soothing) and the cream for the outer bits ..

been using since September as advised by my Gyno and made such a difference ..

i dont and cant take other HRT so just this for the specific vaginal dryness.

i am age 50 and 20 months post meno

jay x

• Posted

Hi Jay

Haven't been offered the Ovules, but sounds like they would be much easier to insert, so will ask when next see Gynecologist, Thanks for that information , we get more help for each other on this site

Lorna X

• Posted

Hi Girls

For those who are experiencing 'wee' 'wee'.  problems, I found this info.

on patient.info

Topical vaginal oestrogen preparations reverse urogenital atrophic changes and may relieve associated urinary symptoms.[8]

Most women will have relief of their symptoms after about three weeks of treatment. Maximal benefit usually occurs after 1-3 months but may take up to a year.

X

• Posted

hi lorna 

i used the cream vaginally at first then changed to the ovestin vaginal Ovules, i actually halve them so use half twice weekly, and the cream on outer bits ..

in between i use the non hormonal Premeno Duo vaginal ovules from stress no more uk.. they are fab too, i again halve those ..

( cut in half while still in blister wrapping or they crumble) 

i live in southern spain and the ovestin here is called Ovestinon and can buy ovules and cream over the counter at the farmacias ..

ovules are great, not messy. they are opague in colour, not white like the cream. 

yes they do help with the thinning and dryness of the urethra too .. 

wouldnt be without them now 

jay x

• Posted

Thanks Jay

I live in Scotland, but will follow up on your information 

Many Thanks

Lorna X

• Posted

Hi lorna65, Thanks for the link. I am having those problems with my VA. I have days where I feel like I want to wee all the time, even when I have just been. It is most uncomfortable and puts me off going anywhere or doing much. Then when I go for a wee, there is hardly anything there. It drives me crazy. I get up in a morning hoping to have a good day with my bladder working normally. And I do get them now and again. But mostly I have to problem with wanting to wee all the time. So thanks for the link. I will go and follow it now.
    • Posted

Thanks, Lorna.  I didn't know about Ovestin cream before posting, so, as two of you have mentioned this, it certainly seems worth asking about if I have to use hormone cream.
    • Posted

Hi Shirley

Go onto the patient.info site, small box right hand side, key in HRT Topical, it then automatically opens another page, down the left hand side, the very first one says HTR Topical with a blue P at the front of it.  Hope you can find it, lots of good info.

Any trouble come back to me.

Regards Lorna

• Posted

To all the Girls

I saw my consultant yesterday, and she said she noticed an improvement in my condition, 3 months..... if I keep on with the current regime , it may take a year, but she sees no reason why I should be back to normal......Hope on the horizon.  Yeh......watch this space.......

• Posted

Sorry...should read.  Should'nt....too excited.
    • Posted

Hi Lorna, That's great news. I was going to ask if anyone ever completely got over this condition. I have been on Vagifem since Xmas and also been using Vit E Oil recently as you probably know. I have now had 3 pretty good days and even though I have felt today like I want to wee all the time, the feeling hasnt been as intense so I'm hoping its gradually petering out. So glad to hear your news Lorna :-)
    • Posted

Shirley

I have used Vagifem in the beginning, but it made me redder and irritated, hence the reason I was put on Ovestin, I also used Vit E Oil, but I got the  800 iu which again irritated me, I think I should have got the 400 iu.  I think the 800 is too strong for me. It is a case of finding what suits our skin the best. As to getting over this condition, my consultant seems to think Yes, only time will tell for me.

Cheers....Lorna

• Posted

Hi Lorna, I noticed more irritation with the Vagifem in the first couple of months than I have done recently. So maybe for me, it took a while to get past the irritation stage. We are all different aren't we. I'm not saying its perfect now, just better than it was. If it doesn't clear it up in another 6 months or so, I will mention ovestin. I was also wondering about the strength of the Vit E Oil so you have answered that question for me. And yes only time will tell for me too. But the last few days have been a bit better anyway. I hope I am not let down tomorrow!
    • Posted

It's been a long haul,  getting diagnosed took forever,  A year ago I could not leave the house for more than an hour, but yesterday I was away for 6 hours, sitting in the car and walking about, without any real discomfort, so if things keep improving, who knows my life might return to normal, one can only hope.
    • Posted

Yes I've been troubled with this since about July last year. I've not wanted to go far or out for long either. Sounds like yesterday was a great success for you. I am really pleased to hear it. Yes fingers crossed things go back to normal for you, for us all in fact. Its been a nightmare. Yes all we can do is hope. :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.