Discomfort just above the belly bottom for almost 1 year

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I´m a 36 male which was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis  around 3 years ago. 

After the first flare up all went well for 2 years just taking mesalazine tablets but almost a year ago I had another flare up.

Initially my GP gave me prednisone but as soon as I stop taking it the symptoms came back so I started taking azathioprine (inmuran) which seemed to do the job.

My concerns is because I have discomfort just above the belly bottom for several months (almost since the last flare up) and it doesn´t go away. It´s not painful and I don´t have crumbs but it´s more a feeling of having that part of the colon very sensitive and some discomfort in that specific point. 

Some people told me that it could be because I´m azathioprine intolerant but I stop taking that medicine a month and a week ago and the symptoms remain. It´s true that just after stop taking the azathioprine the symptoms improved a bit but for the last 3 weeks the symptoms didn´t keep improving. Some days they get better and almost disappear, but then they come back.

Before when I used to strongly press in the area of the discomfort with my fingers I felt a little puncture although since a week ago it has changed and I just feel like my hear beating were in that area now and not puncture!!

I visit the WC just once a day and I don´t see blood there although I have a lot of gasses lately (specially in the morning and evening just before going to bed).

The fact that I have this discomfort for several months is starting to worry me a lot so I would appreciate it if someone who have gone through something similar could share the experience. As I said before I´m not an expert on this disease so I´m not sure if these could be normal symptoms of it or something else. 

Thank you very much.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Javier

I'm a fairly new diagnosed UC sufferer, was told I have indeterminate colitis whatever that means so I'm not an expert

However I am a nurse and pain just above your belly button in an area which feels like there is a puncture actually sounds like a small umbilical hernia.

Might be an idea to visit your gp. It could be at some point during a flare up yoy have had a small tear to your abdominal muscle

Kr

Bjw

• Posted

hmm...probably could not distinquish between UC and CD? Think Nick mentioned  (IC) as Indeterminate colitis..but am not certain...just recall him talking about the diagnostic difficulty even with colon biopsy. (a new study published in pub med (meese and mito q) might be worth a read. If you cannot find..let me know, I'll find the link and pm if if.
  • Posted

Hi. I do not have UC but I've had the pain above my belly button for many years. It's more a dull discomfort constantly. My Dr give me an examination and diagnosed IBS. I've had blood test stool test physical abdominal examination and nothing shows. Dr now thinks it could be my gallbladder because the pain usually occurs on the right hand side as well.

Hope this info may help you on your search. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you very much the 3 of you for the responses. 

I will definitely try Volvic water as stewart21177, you're not the first person to suggest me that. 

Thank you bjwwil and mark75690 for your replies too. It could definitely be one of those 2 causes. I have had several blood test and a couple of my X-ray lately which results were all ok so I guess my GP would need to send for further tests to find out the problem. 

I think she said that next step would be a MRI scan and if it doesn't show any problem I would need a colonoscopy so I still need to wait weeks or even months until that happens (health system here in London works very slow).

Due to the several months I have had this discomfort I'm starting to be a bit paranoid and start thinking in the worse...cancer... so anyone knows what are the possibilities for that taking in account my symptoms?

Thank you

• Posted

I think if there were the slightest possibility it could be cancer your doctor would fast track you back, this way you get seen within two weeks. This is how ingot seen à diagnosed so quickly, please don't worry. Sounds like your gp is doing all the right things
  • Posted

Yes I agree that if your Dr suspected cancer you would be having a lot more test and your Dr would have told you. I work for the NHS and there are 2 types of patients who have xrays. First is routine and second is priority. Im almost certain you have been in the routine category. I would try not worry because worry can make symptoms worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.