Disconcerting symptom

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

It will be three years in February since I was initially told I have BPH and started to take Tamsulosin. I started taking Finasteride, also, one year ago.

The Finasteride finished off almost all desire for sex and when I do attempt it there is no 'product'. (RE)

The symptoms of BPH, the weak stream, sudden urge to urinate, constant feeling of wanting to urinate, feeling that you have never completely finished, burning sensation after urination etc., etc., seem to wax and wane over the months with no rhyme nor reason. On isolated occassions my stream has been exceptional, leading me to think that at last the Finasteride is working. But my hopes are quickly dashed as the very next visit to the loo results in the usual restricted flow. Very depressing.

Now the 'disconcerting' symptom, as if the above aren't enough, started to occur a couple of months ago and I first noticed it one morning when shaving. As I stood there, face all a lather, I was suddenly aware of a strange 'tingling' (I use this word because I can think of no other) sensation which started at the base of my penis and slowly made its way to the tip. It felt as though a small amount of urine was making its way along my urethra and out into my underwear. My natural, and instant, reaction was to conrtact my muscles in order to avoid an 'accident'. redface  I carried on shaving, convinced that I would find a wet patch in my underwear when I checked but, when I did check, to my amazement, and relief, I was completely dry. Since that first occassion this has happened several times, whilst sitting watching TV, whilst out walking etc. Each time it felt as though I would find damp underwear but I did not.

What I would like to ask is whether any of you have had such a feeling, or am I unique? I would also like to hear of any other 'unusual' sensations outside the 'normal' symptoms of BPH which any of you may be experiencing.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Best wishes.

Stephen.

3 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stephen;  I don't think your sensation is unique but more importantly I don't have a solution.  Have you noticed any "sexual" side effects with the meds???  Ooops Iam sorry after going back and reading your post again, I guess the answer is a resounding "yes".  I have had a "PAE" and also a "Urolift" over the last 2 years.  You can research both procedures extensively on this site.  Many dozens of posts about both procedures.  I don't take any meds at all and do have a nice explosion during sex.  I got off the meds because I hate the crappy sex life I was having.  Good Luck to You.
  • Posted

Sometimes burning at tip; but mostly my prostate feels sore all the time. Like it is inflammed. Also my penis has no feeling; like the nerve is cut.  No erections; can not get erect. Sometimes once a month I get a crazy strong erection for no apparent reason; than I must ejaculate; but than nothing for one month.
  • Posted

Hi  Stephen, well,where to start, iam 67, still very fit! i was a pro squash player, now a age group competetive cyclist,....Can  i say that i only got as far as Tamsulosin,as i noticed balance issues!!! to be fair, it did handle the symptoms of BPH,but had no effect on the prostate, i also took Urispas to handle bladder probs!!eventually Finasteride cropped up (my Dr here in Portugal was not keen on op`s?) but the odd stories of side effects decided me to go back tu UK,seek further advice ....and decide on a op! TURP gl standard jobbie, this was done in March this year,and after the usual difficulties  (passing blood and bits for a week or 3 !!) gradually it all calmed down. I continued to cycle after about a month /5weeks, and gradually built back up to 300 kms  a weekend in September!!however upon return to consultant inOctober, i did tell him that occasionally and for several days i would have a "strange!!" feeling, nothing of real complaint,but there never the less!!usually in the tip of  or the end of my penis!  Just unsettleing , he dismissed it as in the brain! so off i went, the "feeling" is now very occasional,and lasting less and less(now maybe a day)yesterday all day for instance,!! now this followed a sexual encounter with my wife! and a constipated feeling thus using pressure to pass stools.  to-day is ok and just finished cycling! i can offer no solutions or good idea`s...i do have RE but sex is usualy  fine, if not better than before!!! can i suggest you research the operation path, there are many and varied op`s available these days, and speaking to at least 6 other people i know with BPH,who have had a "procedeure" (would  not  do drugs) and are all very happy with the outcome.....it is painful and there is after-shocks, but 3 months down the line life starts to return to normal in most cases!!!i hope this has been of some help.........chin up, Syd
    • Posted

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply to my post, it is much appreciated. You sound as though you are making excellent progress after your TURP, which is good to hear as I have read quite a few accounts of the exact opposite!
    • Posted

Hi again, yes unfortunately the various TURP op`s do not suit to all cases, however it tends to be the complex and failures that excite internet  activity, which is quite right, as we need to compare and improve on results! However i would not let that stop me doing all the research into  op`s!! and there are some really  helpful contributors on this forum! its not all bad news, and i don`t think there is much support for continued  invasive drug programs...Like i said it was not all plain sailing..and i still have these ""phantom"" feelings from time to time, as do others i have spoken to!  But i feel better than when on the drugs, and they were not addressing the situation!!also i had no helpful responce from "natural" health remedies...saw palmetto etc etc, although some people claim it helps, also i underwent a rigorous dietry plan... lost 6 kg`s went to 71 kgs and felt even more miserable!!also during that time i got a UTI..!! blockage in the bladder, various anti-biotics cleared that up(eventually)and that is what led to discovering bph!!   it is only recently that when i test my urine or saliva for ph that it comes back as 7 or normal!! during the uti...bph  period my ph was all over the place. now i`m back to feeling normal so is the ph value normal!  there you go, again hope  it all helps...Syd 
  • Posted

Hello, Stephen.  I echo what others here say.  I struggled for several years with running to the john, getting up throughout the night, Tamsulosin, Finasteride, wet pants, etc.  Finally went ahead and had the procedure.  I think some of the newer ones may be better, but my provider did traditional TURP.  It was an unpleasant ordeal with lots of clogged cather, etc.  But once recovered:  no more medications,  no more accidents, no more running to the gents . . .  RE, yes.  But sex drive is o.k.  I am very happy to have done it.  Yes -- do your research, and understand the risks.  It now been almost a year since the procedure for me and my quality of life is vastly better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.