Discouraged

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had an anterior robotic THR on 12/28/15.  I am so discouraged at this point.  If I walk my entire leg swells.  Last night I sat without my leg elevated for 2 hours, today I do not have an ankle my foot is so swollen.  I still have that familar pain in the groin area from pre-surgery and during my exam this week my hip "popped" as it has for years.  My dr says this will all take time but I am very afraid.  My surgery took place at the Mayo Clinic...they do not prescribe Physio post op for Anterior Robotic, is this the norm? 

I read stories online on how you can be gardening 3 weeks post op and golfing by week 6.  I can barely walk around my house between the hip and femur pain, knee pain (im assuming from the screws for the robot) and the swelling throughout my leg.  Is this normal?  Am I being a baby?  I guess from everything I read pre-op I expected so much more from this "less invasive" approach. 

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi nm,

Sorry to hear your having these problems, Im sure some of these lovely people on here will be able to help you more than me,and will come on soon.

I am surprised no physio thou. But Im sure of one thing , your not being a baby , smile

Hope you get some answers soon. Big hugs  x

• Posted

Don't compare yourself to anyone who claims to have won an Olympic track medal three days after surgery. For most of us, recovery does take at least a few months.

I'm 10 1/2 weeks post-op, still limping around the house, still using at least one crutch outside, still getting pains in the groin, thigh, hip, scar area, etc.

My op leg and foot were swelling often during the first few weeks. I learned to put my feet up often. I have even put a stool under my computer desk so I can "kneel" my op leg on it from time to time.

• Posted

As all will say on here - 'everyone is different in their recovery' but at nearly six weeks in I would suggest getting in touch with the clinic for advice.

Swelling and pain is normal, to some degree, in the early days but you need an expert opinion. Your doctor is not an expert on orthapaedics but a general practitioner. Your previous condition has a huge effect on recovery so best to find out if you are on target and put your mind at rest. I wish you well.

• Posted

I'm sorry you are having these problems. I had my THR on the same date as you. Anterior approach, right side. I'm not sure what "robotic" means. I hadn't heard that reference before.

I still have some swelling and I still find it most comfortable to sleep with my leg elevated. Different parts of my leg aches at various times and I still limp and favor the operated leg quite a bit. I do get sore and experience some discomfort at times. I tend to think it's because I've done too much on that day.

I was told to do exercises at home and physio wasn't typically necessary for hip replacements. I know that varies with surgeons, how the surgery was performed, etc.

So your doctor says that your swelling and pain is normal? I think it really depends on the person.

Try not to get too discouraged. I think what we've had done just really takes time and having specific expectations can be very discouraging. I have up days and down days, but my hip pain is gone from before the surgery. Is yours? For me, it's just dealing with the aches and discomfort and wanting to be "normal".

I hope you find relief soon. Do you use heat for the ache or cold for the swelling? I have found those two things quite helpful. 😊

Jen

• Posted

Did you have to wear the thigh high compression stockings? I know I had to keep them on 6 weeks. My surgery was 11/23 - I never had any swelling of any type. 

I've read a lot too. An 85 year old up and going about their life good as new. I'm 59, and I'm struggling still everyday. I am sure that each of us heal in our own time and our own way. I didn't think my scar would look this bad when I checked out other photos. I thought I had better muscle tone in my thighs. I didn't think I'd still have limitations. I don't need to list them but I'm in pain, I do my PT at home and then go into the gym 3 days a week. I have also heard that absolutely "no" PT needs to be done. That it's a waste of money, that normal daily use will get you back where you were. Then, I've also heard a nurse tell me that it's the most violent, aggressive surgery she's ever seen, that it feels like you've gone through a car accident from hell. So, your incision covers a lot of nastiness. Where they've cut through bone and muscle. Tendons and nerves. Me? I can do most of my PT, but there is one simple exercise that I absolutely can NOT do. It's like I had a stroke. The muscle that handles that task must be horribly damaged. It's painful, but every 1/4" I improve, the prouder I feel. Mayo Clinic...in FL or MN? I've never heard of the robotic approach either. Maybe, when you talk to your doctor, have a list of questions. The edema in your lower limb. Is that normal? Do you need compression stockings on that one leg? Also, he's the Doc, it might just be "no big deal, totally normal". I'm 9 weeks. I just started driving and I can make a grocery run if I don't need much. Walking tires me in about 3 blocks. I've got the groin pain. I have pain at the incision site. My hip sorta pops too, but it always did that and maybe it's just your anatomy? Just hang in there, time is your friend. Keep the foot elevated whenever you can but don't stay on your sofa. Your muscles with wither away. I still can't believe they ordered no PT. How different can the robotic approach be? You're not being a baby. Don't be afraid to say you're worried or in pain. You need to let them know. Write down "pop" and "fluid in lower leg" and keep adding that to your list. Pain for each day. M = 3, T=4, F=3, S=6, etc.. If there was something wrong, your doctors would be afraid. If they aren't, you'll do alright. Don't give up hope, I'm going back to my swanky gym and do some floor exercises now... although I hate them, I want to follow up on that robotic approach and no PT!

• Posted

I had to stop wearing compression stockings as my leg was so swollen on the right side they were leaving blisters down my leg sad
  • Posted

Thanks everyone, you've made me feel so much better.  Robotic is just as it sounds.  A robot did the majority of the sculpting.  I woke up with your typical incision down the front of my leg, 2 incisions at my knee, and 1 incision in the left side of my stomach at the pelvis.  The extra incisions achor the robot.  I guess this technique is relatively new.  They dont order PT because no muscles were cut during surgery.  He says the swelling is normal and will ease.  I also tripped about 3 weeks post op, they think I ripped my stitches inside and tore my hip capsule which caused me to bleed into my leg and butt.  This new technique was really "sold" to me and how qucikly i'd recover.  I am 40 with a 4 year old...I guess I expected so much more based on what her told me and I did not go into this very realistically.  Thanks again!
    • Posted

I had anterior but not with a robot, actually never heard of it.
    • Posted

Ha! What do you think a "typical" incision looks like? confused I looked at photos of incisions before my surgery, I looked at a lot. When they took off my bandage, I thought something must have gone terribly wrong! Mine didn't look anything like those others. Mine was horrible. It was a zig-zaged, lopsided, off centered, mess. Skin glue, no staples or stitches. So, what's done is done. Who am I to question how a Surgeon closes up? Or did his PA do it ? Or, even one of those 3rd year medical school students...When the nurse took my silver infused padded foam gel dressing off, she looked at it and accidentally said sh*t before she could catch herself. "I told them to always put this at the bottom and they always put it at the top". It had nothing to do with my incision but again, who am I? I'm the one that feels like she's been through the car accident from hell. My nurse friend telling me, "it's the most violent, aggressive, surgery I've ever seen" You can watch the full version on YouTube, but it's 54 minutes. ( No, I don't think I'll do that )

I am SO jealous that you had the robotic procedure. I'll make sure to mock my surgeon for his stone age techniques. OK, I can't beat you on the trip and fall and bleed in your butt story. That sounds crazy, and they "think" you ripped a muscle? I mean, a torn hip capsule sounds pretty serious. I bet I can beat you on falling off a toilet! On about my 2nd-3rd Morphine hazed day at home, I had placed one of those raised toilet seats on... not the kind you bolt on...just the type that sits there. I didn't do a good job because when I reached left down to the basket where the TP is found, the seat flew out from underneath me to the right. I fell to the left down trapped between the toilet and a table. Hit my head, knocked a lamp over, scared my dog. It happened so fast. My bandage appeared to be soaked with blood and I was sure I'd busted something open. None of the home health people felt it was serious.

So, No PT? I'm so jealous. Can I ask.. what price range are we talking about for the robotic surgery at Mayo? I just posted an article on how your thigh muscles can kill you... ha. I get fired up when it comes to elderly people and their challenges. 

• Posted

Oh my, you poor thing.  I had a mishap as well.  I didnt want to wait for help to get off the toilet, used the towel bar and ripped it off the wall.  Husband wasnt so thrilled about that one.  I am in the US and my husband is a federal government employee so we have very good insurance coverage.  The insurance was billed over $90,000 for my surgery and hospital stay, we paid $35.
    • Posted

WoW. I'm in the US too. Florida? < kentucky. after all my bills, the insurance covering this, denying that, allowing a portion of this, and just making my head spin. $35k w. about $6k out of pocket. i don't have a husband, but a very generous ex husband. the best! i'm always bugging him.. "can i have a new hip? pluuuuuze?"  kentucky.="" after="" all="" my="" bills,="" the="" insurance="" covering="" this,="" denying="" that,="" allowing="" a="" portion="" of="" this,="" and="" just="" making="" my="" head="" spin.="" $35k="" w.="" about="" $6k="" out="" of="" pocket.="" i="" don't="" have="" a="" husband,="" but="" a="" very="" generous="" ex="" husband.="" the="" best!="" i'm="" always="" bugging="" him..="" "can="" i="" have="" a="" new="" hip?="">
    • Posted

Yes I am in Jacksonville Florida where Mayo is located.  Its great having such a well reknowned hospital so close by.  My portion was $35.00 not $35K....Trust me id still have the old hip if that was the case. 
    • Posted

Of course Ins bills $90K but the hospitals contract to pay a certain percentage...say 65%.  Considering Mayo is a non profit I was shocked at the itemized bill. 
    • Posted

My portion was $261.00 out of pocket for a $64,000.00 revision.  I too have decent insurance.  Very grateful for that too!
    • Posted

Puts our health service into perspective - mine came to just £0.00

like so many in UK.

Graham

• Posted

Yep - we do, in our taxes and National Insurance contributions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.