Discovered I have Ostioarthritis of the knee after having a fall

Posted , 3 users are following.

Its been 4 months since I fell at home whilst doing some chores. went for xray's in that week and everything was fine.  2 months later still in pain and doctor administed pain killers and anti-inflamatory drugs.  Still had pain. I was admitted into hospital and had an MRI Scan done and the findings were that I have Ostioarthritis in my knee.  Doctor administered a steriod injection and 1 month later i'm still suffering with pain and now my entire leg is swollen. Doctor has called for a reassesment and is suspecting a blood cloth.  Has anyone had this problem?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear of your fall! I'm glad you attended to it and had the X-RAYS and MRI.

Do you have a temperature? Monitoring that several times a day will keep you up on whether you may have an infection. Blood clots can be very dangerous. I'd suggest taking aspirin which will thin the blood and help with a potential clot UNTIL you can make another appointment with your doctor.

Swelling happens when tissues of the body have been injured. I had LOTS of swelling following my first knee replacement. Swelling is the body's way to protect the injured tissues. It is like a cushion around what is hurting. Swelling also is ANNOYING because it makes it hard to move AND it is painful, too.

Let us know how things go at the doctor's.

Sending prayers of healing to you today!💟

• Posted

Good day Cheryl,

thank you for responding - I have made an appointment for today to visit my GP, so I will let you know how it goes.

take care and God bless.

• Posted

Same thing happened to me as the knee just blew up like a ballon.actually tore the meniscus. Did therapy and the extra fluid was removed. 

I had had swelling for months. My entire leg did not swell. Osteoarthritis is a bummer. Taking care of that knee for life in order to contain and depress the this progressive disease.mthere are also many bio drugs for treatment yet have side effects.

Know that Physio is a big help as well as icing daily and knee brace. As soon as you can therapy or water therapy should be part of the treatment to get your knee back in shape takes time, be patient. 

If you suspect a blood clot then a scan can help identify any blood clots. 

Take care,

• Posted

Hi there,

thank you so much for the advice, it helps to know that im not the only one out there that is suffering with this.

I am a person on the go all the time and this illness has really put a spanner in my works, I have an appointment with my GP today, so will let you know what he says regarding swelling.

have a super day....chat soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.