discussion with my consultant

Posted , 14 users are following.

hi folks.

just back from appointment with my consultant, talked about how I am etc, etc. told him of usual aches and pains and location. one particular area getting worse I said was my spine. he then preceded to tell me me it's a matter for my doctor and not him. I asked why.he informed me it can't be Ra, because it's impossible to get RA in the spine.

in 30 years of having RA, that's news to me. has anyone else been told the same?

best wishes ivan.

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It's not common, but yes it is possible.  I have it.  When I had a spinal block for lower extremity surgery the guy complained the joint space was very narrow due to the RA.  Yet you can also have osteo in the spine.  So either way you would have back pain.  I've had RA for around 30 years also.  I've had trouble with my neck also.  That can all be verified by x-ray.

• Posted

Hi Ivan

Sorry but I have never has a problem with my back so cannot

advise

• Posted

Same thing, have back problems and my rheumy tells me that it is not RA that it is OA and degenerative disc desease (old age).  She says you don't get RA in your back.  Another interesting item, I can't go to a chiropractor either because they will not touch people that have RA.

• Posted

I'm in the States so not sure in other areas.  I really don't know they just said, you have RA?  Sorry, we could hurt you more than help you.  A couple of them told me that so I gave up.  Do you go to one?  I might just not tell them if others haven't had any problems getting an adjustment and just do it.

• Posted

Problem with an RA joint is that it is inflammed and RA is systemic, so every cell that can be biopsied will show these inflamatory cells indicative of RA.  If maneuvers are done on something inflammed, it can get more inflammed, and even damaged because everything is weakened.  Now massage, working with muscles, that would be acceptible.  Here's what I did.  I got an upside down chair and just hang,  letting gravity pull everything into alignment.  It would cost about what a series of chiropractic adjustments would cost and you can use it indefinately.

• Posted

But wear a neck collar when you do this, (if you have RA in your neck) so it stays stable.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info and advice Lynn!  That makes sense.  I do have massages and they help.  I've been looking at those chairs.  I had one in the mid 80's and I loved it, had no problems then and used it everyday. 

• Posted

I don't have it there yet, probably the only place I haven't had it but again good advice.

• Posted

We have a family friend that is a chiropractor.  I will ask him.  He used to treat me for my back.  I remember having a stiff neck for 2 weeks and eventually headaches from it.  I think that might have been the beginning of my RA.  Wan't diagnosed at the time.  I'm in the U.S. Too.

• Posted

My husband talked to our chiropractor and he said he could treat those with RA.  He discussed it further but my husband didn't relay it to me.  I'll have to talk to him myself.

• Posted

Thank you Buckeye, I think I'm going to call another chiropractor and asked if they can work on me.  I really need it!

• Posted

Be! I have it in mine. And neck. You need a second opinion. What's youre RF#?

IF you have blood test results it should be in there somewhere. Just wondering. I was diag. A week ago and its too late now. Have neurosurgery appt next month for surgery.

• Posted

Oops meant to say BS! And that and my knee are the only place I have it so far. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.