Dislocated patella (knee cap)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Back in may I dislocated my patella (left side). I am now able to walk on it okay without to much pain. But I have noticed ever since my accident if my leg is straight out and relaxed, if pressed or leaned on something pops in and then out, on the outside of my knee joint on the outer side of my leg. Best way to describe it is like the safety pop up on the lid on a jar of pickles once it's been opened. As it will pop in and then pop out once pressed. I hope that makes sense. I'm very worried. I am still unable to bend my leg fully without very bad pain, it had been 4 months now. Thank you. P.s my knee dislocation wasn't caused by any trauma it dislocated whilst dancing. I have been told I suffer with hyper mobility.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Don't worry you are making sense and your describing what many people including myself go through. You most likely have joint hypermobility syndrome. If you have already done so I advise you to go see your GP or local health professional and tell them your symptoms and request to see a rheumatologist. After you see the rheumatologist they should give you a diagnosis and you can then start physio therapy and occupational therapy. Just know if you do get diagnosed with Joint hypermobility syndrome your not alone and there are people you can talk to. smile
    • Posted

Thanks so much. I am currently under a consultant at the hospital I'm seeing him on the 17th of this month to discuss my mri scan results. Hopefully they will be able to help me. The hospital refused me any physio for some reason. I was in a wheel chair for over a month I was in so much pain and unable to use my crutches. I was on so many pain killers I couldn't stand properly x
  • Posted

Hi there Aim, if your have joint hypermobility you should see your GP and be referred for an assessment. Before you go, look up the Beighton Scale, then the Brighton criteria. Please do tell your GP, your Consultants and every doctor that you see that you have this. It's not rare, but has been under diagnosed for 50 years! You probably have joint hypermobility. This can also be called EDS HT. I would look at the charity the Joint Hypermobility Syndromes Association. They are very helpful, extremely caring and will help you to understand your problems. Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks so much. I am currently under a consultant at the hospital I'm seeing him on the 17th of this month to discuss my mri scan results. Hopefully they will be able to help me. But thanks a lot for your advice I will be sure to check out that charities website smile x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.