Dislocation Scare

Posted , 6 users are following.

Friday night, my son fell in the bathtub. He is 30 yo, 7 weeks from RTHR. I warned him it was slippery. Of course he didn't tell me until later. His right foot slipped to the right, but he caught himself before he fell. He told me the hip felt uncomfortable, and the back of his thigh ached. I gave him naproxen and acetaminophen. We ended up calling the advice nurse. As I guessed, he was to watch for increasing pain and inability to put weight on that leg according to the surgeon. We bought a bath mat after finding out there aren't any where we are staying temporarily. On Monday, son decided he is okay but wants to know causes and what will help avoid dislocation. So I've been looking on this forum and the hip disorder one for information. Best to Linda81467 on her recovery from dislocation.

I will have to tell son he needs to do PT (none for the last 2 weeks) to strengthen glutes, swim or water exercises. No yoga, squats, turning or twisting.

I'm sorry I can't be here much, but hope you are all recovering. I can't say enough about how helpful this forum and its wonderful people continue to be. For those considering THR, especially because of AVN, recovery is difficult, but relief from the pain is worth it. JMHO as a mother.

Aloha, Soos

4 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Good luck to yu both, I wish a good recovery or your son!  Peace of mind for you, I know it's not easy!!!  Aloha! hugs

• Posted

Mahalo Annette. Hoping you give yourself all the time you need to recover!
  • Posted

Thanks Soos! I'm

Still in the inpatient rehab God willing I can go home Saturday!! 🎊🎉🎈. It's tough getting around on one leg. After this week still got 4 more! 😫

• Posted

Oh, gosh Linda. Props to you for having such a positive attitude!
  • Posted

Dear Soos,

You have such a calm and tranquil life!

Thank goodness no harm was done and thank goodness you are there being the voice of reason and recovery.

I hope you are getting out and about a little and enjoying some of the locale.

I am doing fine, getting ready for my next surgery and trying to stay in a good mind space about it. I have been on a bit of a binge - putting things in place for my Dad for the period when i will be home at not able to drive out to see him as much, getting chores done, getting all my thr gear ready, going through clothes as the weather starts changing next month, and generally putting things in order for milestone events amongst our family and friends.

I have been super lucky and recruited a fabulous psw who just retired and has started spending Tuesday and Thursday afternoons with my Dad. They are getting along great guns and she will add more hours while I am recuperating. Talk about taking a load off my mind.

Take care my friend.

Big hugs,

L

• Posted

Linda, you have no idea - there is stuff happening in Hawaii, too, that I need to jump at when called to! 

Today I had a full set of dental xrays taken, did errands, and went to Target! That was my outing!

Sounds like you've put your dad in a good position. Well done!

• Posted

aloha soos, 

never a dull moment !!! eek  good that he did not fall fall ... phew --

hopefully it is just a big scare and he will be more careful in the near future ..

have you moved yet?  

good Lord, you have a lot on your plate -

please take care of Soos too, okay?

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Aloha Renee

Today son got out to a writing workshop, but he was very tired afterward. Yes, we moved last month. Glad that's over. 

We are in this place for a little under 3 more weeks. 

Mahalo Renee!

Take care, Soos

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.