Dismissal from work for being ill...?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, Been back 2 work (office work)for 4 months after being of sick for 10 months. Diagnosed Sjogerns, cervical radiculopathy, nerve damage right arm, disc protrusion & displacement on separate areas.

Since been back pain is now going into my chest when i breath, lay down etc. Im so achy & tired. Lymph nodes swollen. I keep passing out. I do feel like im geting worse & no where near better.

Access2wrk been out got new equipment Manager said 'i should be able to fulfil my role because of all equipment. Then put me up for sickness hearing ( was sick because throwing up from Tramadol). She knows all tablets make me drowsy. Then told me im not working hard enough. OH dont no what to say! Union wants me to fight! HR on managers side! Received my outcome letter saying if i go sick again will considor dismissal? Can they do this???

I think ive done well trying to go back to work whilst still ill & trying different meds. & waiting for pain management.

The thing is i think im going to have to go of again as i feel so ill

I dont want to let them treat me like this but i feel to sick to fight? What would you all do...? Xx

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I'm in the US so I don't know what rights you have, or how your union works. I know it is hard to fight when you are sick, so if you can let the other's (union?) do the fighting, let them.You need to rest!

In the US, when you are too sick to work, they have unemployment benies for a few months and then after a year, social security helps out. it is not much but it is better then nothing.  Your health is far more important then a job.  

I am sorry yuo are going through all this, i know what it feels like to have flareups. My heart goes out to you as a think about my next one.  

Hugz

• Posted

Hi

Thanks Dee - it is all very frustrating.

Xxx

• Posted

Hi Daniw,

Wow...I am in USA and know zip on UK law. Have you considered disability? Once you were sorted out and rested couldn't you return to work?

On your side

judith

• Posted

Hi judith

Thank you - im going to get in touch with our disability advice over here & see what support i can get

Xx

• Posted

Hi Dani,

I am sending positive thoughts...will be waiting to hear with you.

In the meantime, we have this very nifty, very supportive group here..

hugs

judith

• Posted

I'm also in the US and thank God, old enough to retire now.  I also have fibromyalgia, but getting on a gluten free diet really, really helped the Sjögren's.  It is basically an anti inflammatory diet that helps some of the symptoms.  Best of luck, hope things work out for you.

• Posted

Awesome to hear the GF diet worked for you. I try to tell folks all the time that gluten is a toxin, small amounts pass through most healthy people's intestines without too much trouble. it is when large quantities are ingested that people start getting sick. You don't have to have Celiacs to benifit from a GF way of eating. 

Gluten, caffein, sugar and most fruit are my enemies. I had sugar as in ice cream last night and am suffering for it today with migraine, muscle pain, and sad mood. I know better.  sugar is soo yummy!

• Posted

Hi Dani,

I am pretty good with paperwork so if you have a need...

I will be sending lots of hugs. Please stay in touch.

warm hugs

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.